Wednesday 4 November 2020

IWSG November 2020

It's the penultimate month of what I think for many of us is the strangest and scariest year in recent memory, and while we ride out 2020 in the hope that better things are around the corner, and wait with bated breath for the result of a certain little election, one thing we can rely on is that we can all come together on the first Wednesday of each month to share in the group posting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Created by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the purpose of the group is to offer a safe space where writers can air their fears and insecurities without fear of judgement. Today's awesome cohosts are Jemi FraserKim LajevardiL.G. KeltnerTyrean Martinson and Rachna Chhabria.


Let's have a look at this month's IWSG question:

November 4 question - Albert Camus once said, “The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” Flannery O’Conner said, “I write to discover what I know.” Authors across time and distance have had many reasons to write. Why do you write what you write?

Great question! I think most writers ask themselves this question frequently - it's a healthy thing to keep questioning our own motives, even if the answer is not always easy to define. For me, I would say it's because a certain character presents themselves whose story demands to be told - everything else basically unfolds from that, but that's the starting point of it all. I don't know where it ends, I just hope that if I'm totally invested in resolving the conflict for this character, that excitement and interest will be transmitted to the reader. Writing might be a solitary activity, but you're also on a journey alongside your characters and - hopefully - some readers too!

At least, that's my answer for today. Another day, I might have given a different reason. Let's just say there are a lot more reasons to write than there are not to write, which I think is a cause for celebration!

I'm sure you'll find loads more interesting answers by checking out the IWSG sign-up list here. Have a great day.

30 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I agree that this is a good question to ask ourselves and one that I think we ask ourselves at various times when we're writing. That's great that you feel so compelled to tell your character's story and this compels you to write.

Annalisa Crawford said...

"There are a lot more reasons to write than there are not to write."

I completely agree with you! Ain't writing great!

Liza said...

I write because I can't not write. Period. Hope you are doing well, Nick.

Diane Burton said...

I like your take on the question, Nick. Writing what we write is such a personal thing, and it's good to ask ourselves why.

Jennifer Hawes said...

I love solving the protags problems! It feels great to accomplish something even if only in the virtual world so to speak.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I think every writer and artist of any kind does what they do because of the passion inside of them.

Teresa

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you're invested, then so should the reader.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, there are more reasons to write than not to write! I think my answer keeps changing slightly, too. Writing to take a journey with characters is great. I can picture that in my head. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Agreed! My ideas spark from characters and their attached emotions.
There are indeed a ton of reasons to write! :)

cleemckenzie said...

Traveling alongside your characters is a great way to think of the writing process.

Loni Townsend said...

Love the attitude and reasons why you write. The journey with characters is the fun part. :)

H. R. Sinclair said...

Ha! Yes, everyday brings a new answer. Well put.

Liz A. said...

I think your answer would have to change over time. Why one starts writing can't be the same reason one is still writing 20 years down the line.

Luccia Gray at Rereading Jane Eyre said...

Yes, I agree that when a character gets under your skin, you just have to tell their story! And that is a powerful reason to put pen to paper, which has been driving writers since Cervantes gave Don Quixote a name and a voice!

Nicole Pyles said...

I love character driven stories! Those are the ones that really stay with me, and I feel like I KNOW the character in real life.

PK HREZO said...

Hey Nick! Great to see you again. Love the website! It's really interesting to see how the fledgling ideas can start differently fore each writer. What comes first, the plot or character?? Sounds like for you it's character. For me, it's usually plot. I think it's why fiction writing is so freeing--no hard and fast rules, just flow and passion.
See ya again soon! :)

kimlajevardi.com said...

We're of like minds about the answer to today's question. Great post!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

I think your answer is effectively the same as mine: I write because the voices in my head tell me to.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Almost always the character is the starting point for me too. Only once I started with a world first.

Shannon Lawrence said...

There are definitely more reasons to write than to not write. It's good to have that reminder every little once in a while, both when it gets hard and when it's going just fine.

A Hundred Quills said...

There are a lot more reasons to write than there are not to write...I couldn't agree more. Good luck!
Sonia from https://soniadogra.com

Leigh Caron said...

Oh I so agree with you that there are way more reasons to write than not. And there are oh so many reasons to write...and what fun.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - I enjoy writing my blog and am now entering a few bloghops - which changes things up a little ... but I have no desire to write a story or story ... perhaps by the time Covid has left us ... I might have moved on to writing a story or two ... but for now - all's well. Good to know you're coping and making the best of 'this life' - odd one for us all. Stay safe - Hilary

Sandra Cox said...

I love your response: Because a certain character presents itself.
Happy November.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Writing is so immensely personal. Some would say it is a lonely job too - but not really when you have the characters come along for the ride with you.

Melissa said...

Our characters can be stubborn when they want their stories told. Sometimes I wish they would kidnap me and take me to an island so I could find time to write. LOL

Patsy said...

You're right that we should keep thinking about why we write, as our reasons may change over time, and what was the best approach for us in the past, might not be now.

Heather Musk said...

Lately I seem to be finding a lot more reasons not to write than to write, which is probably why I'm feeling so low more of the time. I'm sure that being back amongst the IWSG crew is just the tonic I need to get myself back on it again.

Anne Higa said...

Love your way of putting this. Character driven stories are definitely some of the best.
Anne

Elizabeth Seckman said...

You're so right...it is a solitary journey, but you never feel alone writing.