Wednesday 6 May 2020

IWSG May 2020

It's the first Wednesday of the month, and one thing we can rely on for certain is that means it's time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Hosted as ever by the Ninja himself Alex J. Cavanaugh, the purpose of the group is to offer a safe space where writers can share their fears and insecurities without fear of being judged. Probably something we need more than ever. This month's excellent co-hosts are Feather StoneBeverley Stowe McClureMary AalgaardKim Lajevardi and Chemist Ken!


So it's my first proper IWSG post for a couple of months, although I thank you for the messages that were left on my placeholder post last month. I'm not going to dwell too much on COVID-19 because I think it's good to talk about other things, but I'll just say that we're all still doing OK here while keeping an eye on the news and the talk of coming out of lockdown - a far more worrisome prospect than being in it for us, and although it's pretty safe to say schools won't resume until at least after the summer in Scotland, it's very hard to picture it (although things are going to look different, that's for sure). Youngest daughter is set to start high school in August, a transition that's tricky at the best of times. Like with this entire mess, we're just going to have to wait to see how it pans out, and we're not going to be doing anything we're not comfortable with.

Let's turn to this month's IWSG question, which is: Do you have any rituals that you use when you need help getting into the ZONE? Care to share?

No rituals as such, but the best thing I can do is remind myself that my writing is time-limited. Despite the lockdown, my routine hasn't changed a great deal and I'm being kept plenty busy with freelancing work (thankfully), so I'm able to carve out thirty minutes to an hour in the morning for writing - basically until the dogs ask to get up for breakfast! After that I'm dealing with work and I'm in a different mindset, so the time is gone if I don't use it. At this particular time, I'm also in a "relatively new and shiny WIP" phase and I'm enjoying finding out where this story is going, which always helps. If you wake up excited about writing, it becomes much easier.

So that's where I am. How about you? Any rituals to share? How are you coping with things overall? Many more IWSG posts can be found by clicking here.

28 comments:

Sarah Foster said...

My routine hasn't changed all that much either, but I have been trying to work on writing for at least a half hour every day.
It's always so much fun when the WIP is shiny and new.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Glad you all are doing okay overall!

This is such a great reminder - "If you wake up excited about writing, it becomes much easier."

Liza said...

I am glad you are enjoying your new WIP. Thank you for your kind comment.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great that you have freelance work. I'm grateful to still have my contract writing job which keeps me pretty busy too.

Jennifer Hawes said...

I love it when the WIP is all new and shiny and full of hope! It's the best feeling.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is really good freelance work is keeping you busy. Just keep cramming in a little time for your own in the morning.

Marie Andreas said...

I hear you on the time-sneaking ;). My day job was able to move me to home for work--but that means 40 hours of day job are now in my writing place! I grab what time I can. Nice post!

DRC said...

It's good that you still have Freelance, and exiting to hear about a new shiny project. It's a scary world out there at the moment. Keep well :)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Aw, such a big deal starting high school. I feel awful for kids like your daughter - current eighth graders, seniors in high school and in college. These are once in a lifetime events. Let's hope that the future will make it up to them. <3 Glad to hear you and yours are doing okay.

Chrys Fey said...

My routine, since I'm disabled and work from home, hasn't changed at all. For the people whose routines have changed, I feel for them.

Stay safe and healthy!

Sadira Stone said...

My routine hasn't changed, since I was already a full-time writer. My concentration, though, is shot. Whereas I used to aim for 2K words a day, now I count it as a success if I reach 500.

cleemckenzie said...

Having a new and shiny WIP must be exciting. It's a great way to wind up these days of lock down! Glad to hear you're dong well in the health department.

emaginette said...

I feel I'm coping quite well. I'm so much of an introvert that I never went out much anyway.

Anna from elements of emaginette

L. Diane Wolfe said...

A new WIP and freelance work is good.

Our state is ready to come out of lock down, but I don't blame you for being concerned. The UK got hit hard.

Anonymous said...

So glad you're getting freelance work to keep the juices flowing. Being excited about writing does make it easier!

My routine hasn't changed much. Hubs is disabled, so everything revolves around his care, now, and as before. I fit in my writing time as it presents itself and I'm happy for that.

Liz A. said...

It's been an interesting time, that's for sure.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

The future is so up in the air. I feel bad for the kids who are missing milestones at school. Glad you got to keep your routine.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I love that phase of a WIP when it's shiny and new and writing is full of discovery.

dolorah said...

My life has not changed much due to Covid-19 either. Just less pay for same amount of work. I'm hoping all the advertising of things will get better soon is not just wishful thinking.

I really miss restaurants.

Its good to have have a routine for writing. My routine is your basic whenever I can spare the time. I would love to retire and have the time to write. Of course, I'd probably just find things to distract myself with.

Stay safe and sane Nick.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Am glad to hear about the freelance work. Helps keep sane in these crazy times too!

David Powers King said...

Love the "new and shiny WIP" stage in writing. About to enter it myself soon. Good luck finding your way through it! :)

Diane Burton said...

Glad to hear you're doing okay. Stressful times. Your comment about waiting and seeing what will happen (your daughter entering high school) pretty much sums up what we're all doing--waiting and seeing what will happen. Hang in there.

Anne Higa said...

I love that "relatively new and shiny WIP" phrase. Definitely know the feeling. Wishing you all the best with all of your writing endeavors. Glad to hear everything is going well for you.

Anne from annehiga.com

Unknown said...

I've been toying with the idea of writing in the morning before everyone else is up. It would certainly be nice to have a reason to get out of bed right now. You know what? I'm doing it tomorrow!

I hope everything goes well for your daughter in August.

Beth Camp said...

Good to have that morning time, uncluttered. And good that you can be disciplined enough to jump right into the writing. I'm also happily in that "new and shiny" project, blending research with writing, but, being retired, now have the luxury of all day. Still, the morning remains my best writing time. I think you may be right that our world will change irrevocably. Hope you and yours stay safe, healthy, and find something to cherish every day.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - good to read your pragmatic notes on the present situation and that you're all well. I'm glad you've got a project to think about ... while excellent that you've got some freelancing going on ... take care - enjoy the walks with the dogs and all the best - Hilary

Sherry Ellis said...

Glad you and your family are doing well. For many of us with online jobs, not much as changed. I'm grateful for technology! It would have been very difficult to be without work for so long. I hope you continue to remain healthy!

Melissa said...

I'm much like you, trying to carve out writing time while working at my 'real job.' Glad you and yours are well.