Wednesday 4 March 2020

IWSG March 2020

It's time once again for another posting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Headed up by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the purpose of the group is to offer a safe space where writers can share fears and insecurities without fear of judgement. This month's excellent co-hosts are Jacqui MurrayLisa Buie-CollardSarah FosterNatalie Aguirre and Shannon Lawrence.


Not feeling particularly insecure this month - spring is in the air (or perhaps autumn, depending on your whereabouts). In any case, changes are afoot and I always find that an inspiring time. I'm moving along with the project I had previously mentioned, a story I had first started over a year ago, and it's progressing nicely. Perhaps I'd like to up my daily word count, which is averaging around 500, but it's been a while since I've written on a daily basis. I'm hoping to increase my productivity over the next few weeks. The story itself is opening up in unexpected ways and I've been taking a lot of notes about what could happen down the line. So, apart from being slightly insecure about the actual number of words being committed, I'm happy to roll and see where it takes me!

The optional IWSG question for this month is: "Other than the obvious holiday traditions, have you ever included any personal or family traditions/customs in your stories?" This one stumped me, but I'm interested to read other answers. You can find many more IWSG posts here.

28 comments:

Sarah Foster said...

That's great how your story is progressing so well. I wouldn't feel too bad about the word count. I always say, some words are better than no words!

Liza said...

Five hundred words a day is an admirable goal, and it will get you where you want to be. Keep plugging away, Nick!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No, that's a great daily word count!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Excellent, Nick! Keep it going! :)

Lisa said...

It's a wonderful feeling when a story progresses. What a sense of accomplishment, especially in the face of insecurity!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I need to have a daily word count too. Spring is on the way here too and I'm looking forward to getting out for walks to inspire me.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Slow but steady progress gives a good feeling. Making time for writing is important.

Patsy said...

I didn't think I did post about family traditions, but another post proved me wrong. Much of what we do every day we learned from our parents and they learned from theirs, which makes it a tradition in a way. Every time my character drinks a cup of tea I'm writing about a family tradition.

Marie Andreas said...

Hey, any words are better than no words! I set a daily word count and smile at whatever I get ;). As for the monthly question--that one stumped me too ;). Keep on getting all the words!

Karen Baldwin said...

Every word counts...and 500 is awesome!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Every step of progress counts, especially the ones that seem small. I think they carry the most weight in the end.
Way to go!

Damyanti Biswas said...

Glad to hear you are on a roll! Go YOU!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Five hundred words a day is great, though I'm sure you could try a little more. Its great that the story is opening up and progressing so well.

Liz A. said...

Glad to hear you're writing regularly. 500 words may not be a lot, but over time that becomes a whole lot.

Chrys Fey said...

Five hundred words a day is awesome progress!

cleemckenzie said...

The question was either easy to answer or not. A lot of said, No! But there were some interesting posts that brought up a lot to think about. This turned out to be a thought-provoking question. Sorry about the Spring jitters. I think a lot of us get those with a change in season.

David Powers King said...

Yep, I'm quite ready for spring. Bring on the changes, and the word count! :)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Glad to hear you're making progress with the story you're working on. 500 words daily is better than 0 words; trust me, I know. I've been in a funk, lack of writing mojo since last winter. I'm starting to get back on the writing horse now, but it is slow going - much slower than you. You are doing awesome!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

500 is great. Enjoy the ride.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm almost ready to dive back into writing everyday. I have a few little projects to finish yet that aren't new writing.

Diane Burton said...

I concur with the others, 500 words/day is great. Steady writing. Better to be a long-distance writer than a sprinter who tires out easily. So glad you're back into that project.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Best wishes for your progress, Nick :)

Denise Covey said...

Any number of words written add up. Whatever you manage. What do they say? 300 words a day equals a book a year?

dolorah said...

Progress! I need to set a limit like that. Doable, but not overwhelming. Good luck with story.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Woo hoo! You're on a roll!

Tara Tyler said...

always fun to get into a juicy part of a story and want to write more words! good luck!

and thanks for stopping by my Beast World campaign at Alex’s

Tara Tyler Talks

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - so good to read your story is developing and your getting various leads - perhaps some new stories ahead turning it into a sequel. Take care in these present times - cheers Hilary

Deniz Bevan said...

Yay for daily writing! I find that always helps me.