Wednesday 25 October 2017

Last week to submit for the IWSG anthology, and Full Dark coming soon!

Hope you're enjoying the season of spooks, witches and ghouls! I'm just here to post updates on a couple of things. In particular, a reminder that the competition for the latest IWSG anthology is still open until November 1, the theme being Tick Tock - so stories should involve a clock or a specific time in some way. The clock is ticking on this one, so get your entries in! Here's a reminder of the rules:


Eligibility: Any member of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group is encouraged to enter – blogging or Facebook member. The story must be previously unpublished. Entry is free. 

Word count: 3500-6000

Genre: Mystery/Crime/Thriller

Theme: Tick Tock. The story revolves around a clock, is time sensitive, or has something about a specific time. This theme has plenty of scope and we’re open to pretty much anything along these lines. No erotica, R-rated language, or graphic violence. 

Story deadline: November 1st 2017

How to enter: Send your polished, previously unpublished story to admin @ insecurewriterssupportgroup.com before the deadline passes. Please format double-spaced, size 12 font, and no headers or footers. Include your contact details, your social links, and if you are part of the Blogging or Facebook IWSG group. 

Judging: The IWSG admins will create a shortlist of the best stories. The shortlist will then be sent to our official judges.

Prizes: The winning stories will be edited and published by Freedom Fox Press next year in the IWSG anthology. Authors will receive royalties on books sold, both print and eBook. The top story will have the honor of giving the anthology its title.


Elsewhere, Melissa Maygrove's anthology, Full Dark, is set for release next Monday, October 30. As I mentioned before, I have the honour of appearing in this book alongside some world-class authors. If you would like to help out with the launch, either on Monday or another day next week, let me know and I'll send details. Greatly appreciated! Also, if you'd like to help generate some pre-release buzz, you can click the below link to tweet about the anthology:


Tweet: Coming soon! FULL DARK #anthology benefiting #veterans & #first #responders Find out more: https://ctt.ec/XbaHR+ #FullDark11

On the writing front, I'm working on another competition entry with Halloween as its deadline, and after that I'll be into edits for part 2 of my Black & White trilogy. That will probably take me up until the end of the year, and I'll be looking at a release date in the spring. Next month, I will definitely be back to regular updates in terms of posting about goals and keeping myself accountable. This month, I've been a bit swamped with other work, but I think I've got a handle on it now.

Are you getting into the Halloween mood? Working on a story for the IWSG anthology, or have you already submitted? Would you like to help out with the launch of Melissa's awesome anthology?

16 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - hope you get lots of entries ... anthologies certainly seem to be great to be a part of ... good luck to Melissa for her launch. Well done on getting on with your competition entries, and then the second part of your trilogy ... good luck and cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

One week, folks! And the competition isn't that heavy this year - you have a great chance.

JeffO said...

Great to see you're moving forward on so many projects, Nick. Keep it up!

The Cynical Sailor said...

Congrats on the Full Dark anthology and best of luck for your competition entry. You're definitely keeping busy. Cheers - Ellen

H.R. Bennett said...

I look forward to the Anthology but I regret not paying attention enough to make a Mystery story.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

The "tick tock" made me think of Moriarty saying that again and again in the British TV version of Sherlock. :) I'm not really in the Halloween mood, but then again I'm not planning to dress up or anything like that. I do need to buy candy in case there are trick-or-treaters; I do miss that part of childhood.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Good luck hitting all your goals! I've been trying to hold myself more accountable. I get so moody about it, it's career self-destruction.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Congrats on the anthology!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Such a great opportunity

Melissa said...

You're a busy guy! Good luck with the writing, and thanks for mentioning the anthology. :)

Elephant's Child said...

The lovely Sandra sent me to visit - and this reader is really looking forward to reading yet another ISWG anthology.

RO said...

Anthology fun, and a new friend! Happy Thursday! Hugs...RO

Sherry Ellis said...

I bet you're going to get some pretty awesome stories for the anthology. It's a good genre!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Nick, sadly I was not able to work on my IWSG Anthology story as I had a mountain of free-lance projects to wade through.

Lowcarb team member said...

The lovely Sandra sent me to visit ...
Have a great weekend!

All the best Jan

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Nick,
If you have an opportunity check out Thursday's post.
Wink. Wink.