Wednesday 6 September 2017

IWSG September 2017: Next Anthology Contest Announced!

It's the first Wednesday of the month, the start of a new season when many of us who have kids might be getting a bit more quiet time for writing, and of course, IWSG post day. This is the day when we can get together and unload anything that might be worrying us, with the possibility of answering an optional question. Hosted as ever by Ninja Cap'n Alex J. Cavanaugh, today's co-hosts are Tyrean Martinson, Tara Tyler, Raimey Gallant and Beverley Stowe McClure! But before I get to today's post, I have a couple of exciting announcements for you.


The Annual IWSG Anthology Contest

Word count: 3500-6000

Genre: Mystery/Crime/Thriller

ThemeTick Tock. The story revolves around a clock, is time sensitive, or has something about a specific time. This theme has plenty of scope and we’re open to pretty much anything along these lines. No erotica, R-rated language, or graphic violence. 

Story deadline: November 1st 2017

How to enter: Send your polished, formatted, previously unpublished story to admin @ insecurewriterssupportgroup.com before the deadline passes. Please include your contact details, your social links, and if you are part of the Blogging or Facebook IWSG group. 

Judging: The IWSG admins will create a shortlist of the best stories. The shortlist will then be sent to our official judges.

Prizes: The winning stories will be edited and published by Freedom Fox Press next year in the IWSG anthology. Authors will receive royalties on books sold, both print and eBook. The top story will have the honor of giving the anthology its title. 

We’re excited to see the creativity and enthusiasm that’s such a part of this group put into action. So don your creative caps and start writing. And spread the word!

Sounds good, right? That theme could go in an infinite number of directions. And there's more - next month's IWSG day is set to be a very exciting one. Read on...

Are you proud to be an insecure writer? 

Then show us! 

On Wednesday, October 4 (IWSG Day), post a photo of yourself (or your alter ego) with any of the IWSG swag or with the IWSG logo. Then leave a comment that day at either the IWSG website’s post or the IWSG Facebook post directing us to your photo. (All blog, Facebook, Goodreads, and newsletter members welcome, but photo must be posted on a blog or Facebook to qualify.) 

The IWSG site admins will visit each one and pick the top three. Why? Because there are cool prizes involved: 

Third place – EBook of A Change of Mind and Other Stories by Nick Wilford, eBook of The Remnant by William Michael Davidson, eBook of Cling to God by Lynda R. Young, eBook of Already Home by Heather M. Gardner, and eBook of Dragon of the Stars by Alex. J. Cavanaugh. 

Second place – The entire eBook collection of the Totem series by Christine Rains, eBooks of Princess of Las Pulgas by C. Lee McKenzie, audio book of CassaSeries by Alex J. Cavanaugh, eBook of Black and White by Nick Wilford, and your choice eBook from J.L. Campbell. 

Grand prize winner - IWSG website interview, IWSG newsletter spotlight, IWSG pinned tweet for one week, C. Lee McKenzie's Featured Follower for the month, the IWSG Goodreads book club eBook for October/November, a short chapter critique, and a pair of IWSG erasers. 

We have some great IWSG swag – pens, mugs, magnets, erasers, etc. Proceeds go to fund the upkeep of the IWSG site.

You have two months to prepare – show us your best insecurity!


***

Also today, I've been interviewed over at Operation Awesome in their Debut Author Spotlight. Check it out!



So, on to today's post. Of course, I've got something to be insecure about with my book launch coming in less than two weeks. I'm still finalising tour posts and other things, and this always tends to be a nailbiting time, but I'm trying to channel it into some positive energy, get on top of the nerves, and not get overly insecure. For a distraction, I'm going to look at this month's IWSG question: "Have you ever surprised yourself with your writing? For example, by trying a new genre you didn't think you'd be comfortable in?"

I've had a go at a range of genres over the years - thriller, sci-fi, I even tried writing chick lit for a bloghop once - but I rarely start out with a particular genre in mind, it's just where the story takes me. The label is something that comes afterwards. But for me, writing is about constantly surprising myself - the first time I wrote a short story, completed an entire novel, beat NaNo. I wouldn't have had any guarantees beforehand that I'd be able to do any of those things. The life of a writer is one that's full of surprises... so the next time I'm struggling, I'll remember that I can always have the ability to surprise myself!

Check out other surprising IWSG posts here

40 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Something to be said about just letting the writing take you to a genre.
Your launch is going to rock it!

The Cynical Sailor said...

I think that's an interesting approach to just write without a particular genre in mind. Looking forward to your launch :-)

JeffO said...

Great interview over at OA. I'm like you, Nick. I don't start out saying, "This is going to be..." I just have characters and story in mind. The genre is a natural outflowing, I think, of who I am.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I really enjoyed your interview. I'd definitely be insecure if I had a book releasing, but it sounds like you're totally organized for it.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love how open the new anthology's theme is - so many directions to take it in.

Good luck with the book launch, Nick! :)

Laura Clipson said...

I love the anthology theme, I've never written in those genres but I might give it a try.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Good luck with the tour.

I usually don't plan genre either.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I love that you constantly surprise yourself and I know I felt that way, especially with my first book - kind of a surprised shock that I was holding it in my hands.
Best wishes on the tour!

Jennifer Hawes said...

I'm debating whether to participate in the anthology. MY fave genres are mystery/thriller/crime. I've never written anything without declaring a genre. Interesting!

Anonymous said...

I love it, "chick lit."

Congratulations and best of luck on your new book and I hope you had a ton of fun with your interview over at Operation Awareness. Good stuff!

Enjoy the rest of your week!
Elsie

Christine Rains said...

Good luck with the tour! :) Oh how I love the surprises that come with writing.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Well done Nick - I enjoyed the interview guest post. You have certainly shown us lots of genres with your writings - so glad you keep going with them ... cheers Hilary

cleemckenzie said...

Good luck on your launch. I'm sure it will go very well and be a success. I'll stop by and see your interview.

L.G. Keltner said...

Stories have taken me into genres I'd never written before plenty of times. I love when that happens since it allows me to expand my horizons.

Good luck with your book launch!

Donna K. Weaver said...

I'm going to have to get serious about some launch plans. Less than two weeks and I'll have the final edits back. UGH. Good luck with yours!

Nicki Elson said...

I like that you let the story dictate the genre rather than vice versa. Good luck with the launch! Just added the book on Goodreads. :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Yup, this writing journey takes us to unexpected places. Congrats on the release to come!

Adrienne Reiter said...

Congrats with your launch. Hope you have a fantastic tour! I end up writing into other genres constantly.

Yawatta Hosby said...

Good luck with your new release! What's the book about?

Keep smiling,
Yawatta

kjmckendry said...

I agree, I don't think too much about genre, I follow the lead of my story and see where it takes me!
The anthology contest has me interested, maybe this is the time I try something new and attempt a mystery!

Good luck with the launch, just added it on Goodreads! :)

Sandra Cox said...

What a lovely sentiment. I love the way you ended the post.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You really have a lot going on, Nick. I'll know you'll rise to the challenge and juggle it all to success.

Liz A. said...

Cool. It's good to keep pushing your boundaries.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

So much exciting stuff coming up! Good luck with your launch. Let me know if you need a shout out or anything.

Chrys Fey said...

The current book I'm writing now, I'm not sure what the genre would be. Probably fantasy. I don't often worry about the genre either.

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations on your upcoming launch!

Ooh, that's a great idea and theme for the IWSG anthology. I think I might have a story that fits...

Michelle Wallace said...

Congrats on the upcoming launch! Awesome news, Nick!

Writer In Transit

Patsy said...

I'm still surprised whenever I see my own name on the cover of a book. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I don't really mind if I don't.

Carrie-Anne said...

Good luck with your launch!

When I began writing and drawing my picture books as a child, I think they were mostly all set in modern times by default. By fourth grade, I began moving more and more towards historical, and by eighth grade, had found my niche in 20th century historical fiction. Other than some microfiction here and there, the last time I attempted to write anything set before the 20th century was seventh grade. Now I have plans to resurrect my 18th and 19th century characters. I figure if I never forgot their names and stories in 25 years, they were meant to be.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, there's no pressure for your book release on my blog. You can relax there. ;)

dolorah said...

I think its good to surprise ourselves sometimes. Shows you can overcome challenges :)

Jean Davis said...

Best of luck with your upcoming book launch!

Neurotic Workaholic said...

Good luck with the book launch! I'm sure it'll be great. And it is nice when writing surprises us, especially because it helps make all the unsurprising things (like the daily routine of life, such as boring stuff like doing laundry and washing dishes) more bearable.

Chemist Ken said...

I definitely need to know what genre my story is and where it's going before I could ever start writing. Good luck with your new book.

Cherie Reich said...

Good luck with your upcoming book release! The writer's journey is definitely full of surprises. :)

Sandra Cox said...

An up and coming book birthday, how exciting.
If there's anything I can do to help you spread the word, let me know.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Great response to the question. Sometimes, we surprise ourselves in the direction the story takes.

Anne Higa said...

That sounds like a fun theme for the anthology. Congrats on the book launch!

John Davis Frain said...

I've been so out of it.

LAUNCH! Yaaaassssssssssssssss. You go, Nick. Tip o' the cap to ya!

Unknown said...

Your launch is going to rock it!


หนังออนไลน์