Thursday 27 April 2017

A-Z Challenge 2017 - W is for Wellesbury

Welcome to Day 23 of the A-Z Challenge 2017. This month I'm sharing my "Black & White Snippets" - snapshots of some of the characters, places and concepts that populate my forthcoming YA dystopian trilogy, Black & White. There won't be a lot of details or spoilers - just short scenes and vignettes that give you a hint of the world I've created. Today, it's W for Wellesbury.


Wellesbury Noon. Ordinary name, ordinary kid. Well, maybe not that ordinary. He was captain of the school gravball team after all. But he’d be the last one to make a big deal about it. No, he just got on with it like everyone else – doing his studies (everyone was guaranteed a pass in the exams, but doing extra bits of work gave you bonus points that helped you later), sitting and eating his synthesised dinner with his parents while they discussed their day (which was invariably the same), going to practice and goofing off with the guys…

All very well, and he didn’t have any complaints about his life. So why did he have the feeling there was something more, something he was missing?

13 comments:

moon said...

May be he was missing the spontaneous joy of an unpredictable/ un-regimented life?
Beautiful creation, Nick. Thoroughly intriguing!
Best wishes ,
Moon
https://aslifehappens60.wordpress.com

Nilanjana Bose said...

If I had to eat synthesised dinners every night with my parents and discuss days that did not vary an inch, I'd feel I'm missing out big time too! Poor kid!

Nilanjana
Madly-in-Verse

Cathy Kennedy said...

Nick,

Your character Wellsbury Noon sounds like most kids. They always think the grass is greener on the other side. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but they are not content until they experience life for themselves. Happy a2zing!

~Curious as a Cathy
Art Sketching Through the Alphabet "W" (Walking Dead & Waves).

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

There's so much more to life - of course he's missing it even if he doesn't realise that it exists! Happy A-to-Z-ing.

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

I know that feeling... :D

The Multicolored Diary: WTF - Weird Things in Folktales

Darla M Sands said...

I know that feeling. I've lived too long like a leaf in the wind. Now I'm stuck in what we allergy sufferers call 'sinus valley' in southwest Ohio USA when I should be near the ocean. Oh, well, at least I have my fiction. ~grin~ Be well!

Keith's Ramblings said...

Something will happen I'm sure. Something unexpected, but positive or negative?

Another day in Amble Bay!

Josie Two Shoes said...

I agree with what Moon said! If life becomes too predictably routine with no surprises or fun options, our spirits long for more, because we sense there is so much more than mere survival!

C.D. Gallant-King said...

Because he was bored, same as every other kid? :-P Man I wish I had such a regular and simple routine sometimes...

W - Winnie the Pooh and Canada Toojavascript:void(0)

Carrie-Anne said...

I'd feel like I were missing something more too, if I had such a strictly regimented, by the books life and schedule.

Jean Davis said...

That sounds like a pretty boring life. No wonder why he's feeling like he's missing something.
Discarded Darlings - Jean Davis, Speculative Fiction Writer, A to Z: Editing Fiction

Liz A. said...

Uh oh. He's going to cause trouble...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - sensible kid ... intuition was telling him something - Wellesbury definitely has more to offer and tales to tell in your book ... cheers Hilary

http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/x-is-for-x-war-facts.html