Wednesday 6 April 2022

IWSG April 2022

Time once again for our monthly meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Hosted, as ever, by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the aim of the group is to offer a place to share fears and insecurities about writing without being judged. Join us if you haven't already. Today's excellent co-hosts are Joylene Nowell ButlerJemima PettPatricia JosephineLouise - Fundy Blue and Kim Lajevardi.


Today's optional question is: Have any of your books been made into audio books? If so, what is the main challenge in producing an audiobook?

I haven't had any audiobooks made yet, but I'm intrigued to hear answers to this question. I announced a couple of weeks ago that I'd signed a contract with a publisher for my novel The Becalmer to be released August next year. As part of that contract, I'll get an audiobook produced if I sell 1000 copies. Hopefully I get there; I'm really excited about this prospect, and although I don't really have a history of using audiobooks, I'm very interested in hearing about anyone else's experiences of producing them.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing with a first draft for my next novel, which will be another standalone (so far, anyway). Progress had been erratic, but I've now visualized a possible ending and some other key plot points by putting thoughts down on paper (literally). It's funny how that can engender a different thought process; it feels refreshing and honest, somehow. I know some people write entire first drafts longhand, but that would be taking it too far for me. What's your relationship with hand writing? Does it help your process?

I'm also still going over notes from my excellent CPs on the last part of my trilogy, which I definitely want to release this year (looking at September), ahead of my trad pub debut. It's been a few years since the second part, so I'm gearing up for a busy couple of years and exploring all the marketing options that go alongside launches. My aim is not to have three-year gaps again; I want to release at least a book a year going forward, so that's the challenge I'm setting myself.

To read more IWSG entries, don't forget to check out the sign-up list here!

21 comments:

Liza said...

Congratulations on Becalmer, Nick. Great news. Here's hoping you get to audio book numbers and beyond!

Michelle Wallace said...

I find that the creative brain works differently when writing longhand compared to typing.
Releasing a book a year sounds like a solid and plan.
Congrats on the contract for your novel The Becalmer, Nick!

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's awesome your book could come out as an audio book. I've never written a story long-hand. It seems like way too time consuming and harder to edit.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great they might do an audio book. It was fun listening to the auditions for mine. I was fortunate the same person did all of my books and he did a great job.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I hope you sell well over 1000.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Nick, congratulations on The Becalmer getting a publishing contract. Hope the book sells 1000 copies super fast.

Leigh Caron said...

Great about the audio book. And you'll sell MORE than 1000. Re: handwriting, Nope. My handwriting cannot keep up with my brain. And erasing mistakes on the laptop saves trees.

H. R. Sinclair said...

1000, woot, you can do it!

I write longhand now and then for scenes, maybe a chapter, but not more than that. I'd say I do more skeletal stuff by hand.

Melissa said...

I sometimes write notes on paper, especially when I'm doing research before I start one of my historicals. I sit with non-fiction books and jot notes of things that might be helpful when I start drafting. As for plot notes, I usually type those directly into a document.

There are tablets you can write on by hand that will convert your handwriting to text on the computer without having to type it. Maybe something like that would help.

Loni Townsend said...

Your mention of writing by hand makes me think that it's never worked for me. I'll take notes here and there, but there's too much scratching out stuff and I'm opposed to duplicating efforts of writing it all out and then having to type it up again.

I hope your writing continues to go well, and all the notes work out!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I love your goal!
And congratulations on all of your writing!

Liz A. said...

Congrats. I hope you get an audiobook.

As for handwriting, I avoid it when I can. I get awful writer's cramp, so I'd rather type anything at all. (I can't write long at all. It was torture in school.)

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Congrats on signing with a publisher! Best wishes too for selling 1000 copies so you get an audiobook.

I'm one of those writers who love to write the first draft in long hand. It keeps the distractions of the computer at bay. And when I type it in, I edit as I go.

Lori L. MacLaughlin said...

Congratulations on your new contract! How exciting! I do a lot of brainstorming of ideas on paper and I find that helps me a great deal. It's messy and visceral and seems to kickstart creativity much better than trying to do the same thing on a computer. Good luck with your goals! I would love to publish a book a year but I haven't been able to accomplish that yet. It's been three years since my last book was published. My goal is to get the first draft of my current WIP done. I'm starting to make some progress now so maybe I'll get there by the end of this year. Here's hoping.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Progress is progress, erratic or not. Hope you reach your one book a year goal! That would be fabulous.

Mary Aalgaard said...

I hope you get the audiobook contract! I'll buy your book to help promote it!! Sounds like you have many things to celebrate in your writing life. Cheers!

J.Q. Rose said...

Congrats on your book contract! I bet you can make it to 1000 and beyond! I like how you planning for the long haul in your writing career and building on it every day. Best wishes.

Diane Burton said...

Congrats on your sale to a trad publisher. Great goal of one book a year. Good luck with all your projects.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Bravo, Nick, on having your book published. Way to go! I'm sure you'll make that 1000 mark and have an audiobook produced. Good for you!

I can't write in longhand. My fingers cramp and I can't read my own writing. I prefer the computer, where I can jump around in my story and go back and correct. All best to you, sir!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Good luck getting to 1000 copies! I have faith in you!

Arlee Bird said...

Hope you make it to your audiobook threshold. I think you should be able to sell 1000 copies.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out