Wednesday 23 March 2022

Big News!

I've been sitting on this news for a few days, but I'm overjoyed to be able to announce that I have fulfilled an ambition I've held for fifteen years and will become a traditionally published author when my YA sci-fi novel The Becalmer is published by Creative James Media in August 2023!

I'm still processing the news really - I feel like my submissions process has been a whirlwind, as I only started querying in November last year. I'm aware that to get an acceptance after a few short months is the exception, not the norm, so I feel blessed. I gathered many rejections, including some very helpful and encouraging ones. One of those helped me strengthen my story by completely excising the first two chapters, which I'm sure played a part in its acceptance. When I queried Jean Lowd at CJM, I was stunned that she came back with a request for a full the very same day. A few weeks later, I attended a Zoom interview to discuss my book, and the next day, I signed a contract. Suffice to say that this is still sinking in!

This is my lockdown project - I started writing it in January 2020 and finished up editing in autumn 2021. Although it doesn't have to do with the pandemic, I'll always associate it with those couple of years and I'm glad that at least something good has come out of them. My MC holds a special place in my heart - she's determined, surprising and resourceful, and I'm overjoyed that she will now make her way out into the world. Here's a short blurb:

Gifted with the ability to defuse conflicts with her mind, Harica is headhunted to resolve a war via an arranged marriage, unaware that the reluctant would-be bride—the entitled Princess Jasmila—has similar powers. But the princess doesn’t use them for good, and she fights back, sending Harica into a coma through which she finds a mysterious liminal space populated by others who share her gift, both living and dead. She learns to do things she never thought possible, but when things get out of control, she almost swears off her gift forever—until events dictate that she must come to terms with the dark side of her gift and take ownership of it.

I'll provide more details in the coming months. This year, I'm also planning to release Reckoning, the concluding part in my YA trilogy, so it's a busy old time. Looking forward to the ride!

13 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Congratulations Nick - so pleased for you ... 'covid' did you a favour. It's amazing two publications on the way ... well done on finishing your YA trilogy. Wonderful news about the full contract ... as you say amazingly full-on ... Good luck and here's to the future and more success - cheers Hilary

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats, Nick! I'm so excited for you! That's so awesome that you finally fullfilled your dream. Can't wait to hear more about your news.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Big congratulations, Nick! That is awesome.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Congratulations, Nick! Wishing you success! :)

Chrys Fey said...

Congratulations, Nick! That is wonderful. I am wishing you all the best with this dream realized.

Nick Wilford said...

Hilary - Thanks! I'll have my hands full over the next year or two.

Natalie - Thanks! It's been a long road for sure.

Alex - Thanks!

Madeline - Thank you!

Chrys - Thanks! It's a lot of nerves but a lot of excitement too.

Liz A. said...

Congrats. That's wonderful news.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Congratulations, Nick!! That's awesome news!!

JeffO said...

Congratulations, Nick, that is fantastic! Sounds like a great story!

Melissa said...

I am so excited for you! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy or more deserving person. Kudos!

cleemckenzie said...

Great job, Nick! Here's to more success along the way.

J Lenni Dorner said...

Wow! That's awesome. Congratulations on your success.
I'm doing the #AtoZChallenge - writing a speculative fiction short story.
On the main A to Z site today for "B" I shared a list of books. Check it out!
At Operation Awesome we're doing the A to Z Challenge and running a survey to pick the next Pass or Pages query contest genre.

H. R. Sinclair said...

CONGRATS! That's awesome.