Wednesday 4 December 2019

IWSG December 2019

It's the first Wednesday of December and that means it's time for us to convene for the very last IWSG of 2019. Hosted as always by Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh, the purpose of the group is to offer a safe space for writers to share fears and insecurities without appearing foolish or weak. If you haven't joined yet, why not make it your first resolution for 2020? Today's excellent co-hosts are Tonja DreckerBeverly Stowe McClureNicki Elson and Tyrean Martinson!


I'm skipping over this month's question - which I think is a good one, I just feel like focusing on the here and now and what I can do in this moment. We're approaching the end of the year and that traditionally means it's time to take stock. Well, I may not have got as much done in 2019 as I wanted, but I did get the second part of my trilogy out to quite a favourable reception, and I'm determined to finish the year out strong by completing the first draft on the finale. So basically, the same goal/insecurity I've had in previous months, but it will feel like a massive achievement considering the rather "fallow" year I've had. I'm looking forward to 2020 containing new adventures, including getting that conclusion to my series into the hands of readers, and I definitely want to get started on at least one new project. There's quite a few ideas I'm excited about, and as you probably know, a backlog tends to build up if you've been working on one story for a long time. So for me, 2020 looks like it has plenty of possibilities and potential. How's it looking for you?

Have a great Christmas, and don't forget to check out more IWSG posts here!

22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great! You've set yourself up for a very good year.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Yeh for plenty of possibilities and potential! Good luck with it all! :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like you had a great year! Happy Holidays!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Look at you go, Nick! It's inspiring. I really love and appreciate your attitude toward focusing on where you are in the here and now instead of dreaming ahead. Doing so is good, but at the appropriate time. And each of us knows when that is. I'm in a similar position as you, right now. Projects to finish and map out. The dreaming will have to wait for another day.

Wishing you all the best now and in the new year!

Christine Rains said...

Tons of possibilities! Here's to a great 2020 for all of us. :)

Patsy said...

Oh yes, plenty of possibilities and potential for 2020!

Liz A. said...

Good luck with your goals. I think it's been a rough year for many of us.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My year has been fallow for writing, but we both have possibilities for next year!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

A "fallow" year means the next one will be awesome :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sounds like you had a productive year even if you didn't reach all your goals. I know what you mean about ideas putting pressure on me to finish my current project.

Denise Covey said...

Hey Nick you've had an awesome year meeting goals you struggled with. I wish you the very best for 2020. And as always, we love your judging at WEP. We're going to do the shortlist for December asap and get it to you.

cleemckenzie said...

It's always good to look to something good ahead. That's a great way to start a new year, Nick.

H. R. Sinclair said...

Finishing the second part is huge.

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Wishing you a happy holiday time and success in the coming decade 🤗

Elizabeth Seckman said...

As writers, I think we are always looking onto that next goal. We're never quite content with what we've done as long as we are obsessed with what is left to do. I suppose that's a good thing. It's keeps us going!

mshatch said...

I finished the manuscript I was working on (draft#1) and am now revising one I finished before so I feel good about my writing accomplishments. Congrats on your accomplishments as well :)

Liza said...

Possibilities and potential! Love the positive thoughts.

Michelle Wallace said...

Love the positive outlook Nick! Go into 2020 with a renewed sense of purpose.
A Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year to you and your loved ones!

Tanya Miranda said...

I'm also working on the first draft of my trilogy's finale. Hopefully I'll have it completed by the end of January. And man, does that backlog grows fast or what?

I hope your holidays are full of late-night, undisturbed, productive writing sprees!

Roland Clarke said...

You give so much to other writers - as a WEP judge for instance - you deserve a prolific 2020. Have an uplifting end to 2019 and burst forth renewed in 2020.

Darla M Sands said...

I agree with Roland! Be well.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Happy Holidays!