Wednesday 6 November 2019

IWSG November 2019

For the penultimate time this year, it's the first Wednesday of the month, which means it must be time once again for our meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Founded and helmed by Ninja Cap'n Alex J. Cavanaugh, the aim of the group is to offer a safe space where writers can share fears and insecurities without fear of being judged. Today's excellent co-hosts are Sadira StonePatricia JosephineLisa Buie-CollardErika Beebe and C. Lee McKenzie. Join us if you haven't already!


My insecurity this month remains pretty much the same as last time - getting the ending of my trilogy wrapped up by the end of the year. I haven't made too much progress since that last post, but I remain hopeful/determined/blockheadedly stubborn about achieving this goal. It would be a great way to wrap up what has not been a hugely productive year. With that taken care of, let's have a look at this month's optional question (which is a lot of fun):

What's the strangest thing you've ever googled in researching a story?

I'm sure I've researched some very strange things, but maybe less so since I've been leaning towards a sci-fi/fantasy bent. Of course I might need to check some scientific principles and ideas but on the whole, I can draw on my imagination a lot more and there's less need to fact-check things from the real world. With that in mind, I'll cast back to one of my earlier novelistic attempts when I was trying to write detective/murder-based thrillers. One of my villains was particularly nasty and wanted to go to great efforts to cover his tracks - so I ended up attempting to research how to dispose of a body so it left no trace. Hopefully my name didn't end up floating around on a government watch list somewhere!

I'm sure there will be other entertaining answers to this question so why not check them out here?

23 comments:

Liza said...

Oh goodness. That must have been some research. I find myself oddly curious about the results. Best wishes with your writing over the next month, Nick.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I bet a lot of writers are on that list!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Good luck with wrapping up the trilogy, Nick! I can't believe the year is almost over....

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I was thinking the same thing sort of that Alex said. Added though is that we may be on the same list as murderers. Government watching Writers and...Murderers. Ha.

Teresa

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Hang on to that determination and keep working on that book.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Best of luck getting your trilogy done!

Chrys Fey said...

I'd think that sci-fi/fantasy would lead to many more interesting researching subjects. :)

cleemckenzie said...

I hope to hear more about your trilogy, especially that you're all done.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Good luck getting the ending of that trilogy wrapped up. Want to see that trilogy on the book shelf soon.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Good luck finishing your trilogy. I write fantasy too and don't have to research too much weird stuff.

lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com said...

Know what you mean about worrying about your research! An American friend was afraid to look into obtaining a dual passport, she is half English, and I phoned, wrote to both embassies so many times.. half expected to be investigated..

Liz A. said...

Sorry your year hasn't been that productive. It's been an odd one, hasn't it?

Sarah Foster said...

Lol I bet a lot of writers have researched murders and disposal methods. I've got a lot of ideas on how to torture my characters.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I wonder if there are people who search for that who aren't writers? It is very suspicious. LOL

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

You are so on that watch list ;)

Denise Covey said...

Hi Nick. All the best as you get to the end of your trilogy. Love deadlines. I'm hoping to get a lot of books finished/published in January. We'll see. Even so, while I'm traveling, I've been getting 2 hours of writing in a day which I think is pretty good.
Thanks for doing an awesome job of choosing the 3 winners for WEP. A great bunch of stories!

Diane Burton said...

I hope you end 2019 in celebration. You are not alone in feeling like this has been an unproductive year. I'd like to end it in a flourish, too. Good luck.

Natasha said...

Good luck with the trilogy, Nick.

The strangest thing I ever googles was about the Aghori Sadhus (a religious ascetic) who are cannabilistic by nature. Was quite a revelation and it still gives me goosebumps. I'd done a post on Sadhus in general. Here goes:

https://natashamusing.com/2018/10/saffron-clad-sadhu-wordless-wednesday-natasha-musing/

Have a great week. Back on your page after aeons.

Cheerio!

Kristi said...

I wonder if one would have to research more than a single suspicious topic to be flagged in some way. But who really knows how any of that works.
Good luck with finishing that trilogy!!

dolorah said...

I love writing fantasy and futuristic because I get to make up the worlds and rules. That can be a daunting task too though. I imagine Scotland has a lot of natural research opportunities that would be more interesting than a google search.

Hope you get that finished up. That would be exciting too :)

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Don't you just love authors? It's so funny the things we research and wonder if we become part of the government's watchlist because of that! Whew!

I've researched tons of stuff for my work but I don't recall any strange things other than noticing how the floating island on King Henri IV of France's is now sunk to the bottom of the Carp Pond over at Chateau Fontainebleau, and there's no record of it! I can speculate that his son or grandson didn't like it so he sunk it. Hm.

Heather R. Holden said...

Best of luck reaching the end of your trilogy! Can relate too well to the insecurity of feeling behind. Hope all your determination pays off and you achieve this goal before 2020 as planned!

Mohamed Abdellatif said...

؟ هذا كل ما يشغل بال المرأة التى تخشي على صحة أفراد العائلة من الآفات الشائعة مثل الصراصير والنمل الابيض وبق الفراش والبعوض. يمكن أن تنتشر الآفات داخل المنزل بشكل رهيب إذا لم يتم فحصه والعامل معه في الوقت المناسب، هذا قد يسبب في المزيد من الأضرار لمنزلك وأيضًا لصحة عائلتك.

لكن هل تعلمين أن هناك طرق بسيطة وسريعة تساعدك ف التعامل مع حشرات المنزل؟ ربما أفضل حل للتعامل مع الآفات الموجودة بالمنزل هو التواصل مع إدارة مكافحة الآفات ولكن أيضًا إذا أردت القيام بهذه المهمة بنفسك فهناك طرق فعالة تساعدك في ذلك تعرفوا عليها من خلال زيارة شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
شركة مكافحة صراصير بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالخرج
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض