Wednesday 3 July 2019

IWSG July 2019

It is the first Wednesday of the month and of course that means it's time once again for the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Hosted as ever by the Ninja Cap'n himself Alex J. Cavanaugh, the purpose of the group is to offer writers a safe place to share insecurities without fear of being judged. Why not join us if you haven't already? This month's awesome co-hosts are Erika BeebeNatalie AguirreJennifer LaneM J FifieldLisa Buie-Collard and Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor!


Each month we get an optional question to answer, but I'm going to skip it this month because I'm drawing a blank on it. Instead I'm going to talk about my writing progress, or lack of it. I'm still trying to achieve a decent work/writing balance - I've not really got anything done this year in terms of the latter but I'm trying to remain stoical about it. Basically, we've got a few big things we need to get paid and then things should settle down a bit. I don't really feel in a writing headspace at all but then I do have various ideas flitting around - they settle for a minute like butterflies and then drift off again so I try to catch them while I can! I don't think I'll be stuck for things to work on when I do get some time - I've got the ending of the last book in my trilogy to finish off, the continuation of the book I started in December, or one of these twinkly new ideas. Basically, I'm trying not to be insecure - I'd rather not be writing for a lack of time than a lack of inspiration.

The IWSG Anthology Contest 2019 is open for submissions!

Guidelines and rules: 

Word count: 3500-5000

Genre: Middle Grade Historical – Adventure/Fantasy

For those who are confused by the genre:
Middle grade – suitable for 9 – 14 year-old children.
Historical – it must have historical aspects and be set in a time before 2000 or earlier. It just needs to be set in the past.
Adventure/fantasy – the subgenre can be either adventure OR fantasy. The fantasy genre is acceptable as there are many ancient cultures and times that believed in supernatural occurrences.

Theme: Voyagers

Submissions accepted: May 1 - September 4, 2019

How to enter: Send your polished, formatted (double-spaced, no footers or headers), previously unpublished story to admin @ insecurewriterssupportgroup.com before the deadline passes. Please include your contact details, your social links, and if you are part of the Blogging, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter IWSG group. You MUST be part of at least one of those to enter.

Judging: The IWSG admins will create a shortlist of the best stories. The shortlist will then be sent to our official judges:


Finally, if you fancy pocketing a quick read for zero pennies, I've enrolled all my books as freebies in the Smashwords Summer/Winter sale for July. Check them out here!

And don't forget to check out more IWSG posts here.

25 comments:

Karen Baldwin said...

I think we've all been there with the butterflies in our head. For me writing is a joy and if I feel like a crazed lunatic trying to compare myself to how others write, I would not be happy. It will all come together. You'll see.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sometimes there are just more pressing things and life takes over. Get those things paid and when time comes back, you'll hit the ground running.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

It's great that you have the ideas and the projects to turn to when you do have the time again. Hang in there, Nick!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

I agree with what Alex said about more important things get in the way of writing sometimes, but we can always go back to it.

Don't give up! Keep on writing.

Teresa C.

Natalie Aguirre said...

We all have those times in life when we're too busy to write. That's great that you have ideas to pick up once the rest of life slows down a bit.

The Cynical Sailor said...

Sometimes other things in life need to be prioritized. Your ideas will always be there when things settle down and you have time to focus on your writing again. Looking forward to the third installment in the Black & White series. Cheers - Ellen

Chrys Fey said...

If you're not in the writing head space, it's always best to take care of what's drawing away your attention and, of course, be patient. Take care!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Writing idea butterflies - I've had those pesky critters. They don't stay long enough to let you write anything down and then you just remember the flicker of the color of their wings and that's all when you do have a chance to write. :)
I hope you have some time, soon!

Patricia JL said...

Don't guilt trip yourself too much. Sometimes writing just has to sit on the back burner while we get life back in order. It sucks, but writing will happen again.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm mobbed by butterflies right now. Just need more time to write.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Nick, I have been assaulted by butterflies many times.

Just a suggestion, jot down those ideas that are floating in your mind.

Jean Davis said...

Hope things settle down to allow writing time soon. If nothing else, it's relaxing and we all need that.

Looking forward to the last book of your trilogy. :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I hear ya! Some days, I feel like I'm treading water and don't know which way to swim to shore. There are so many things that need attention that I will have no clue where to begin. I'll get so locked up, I'll waste whole days doing nothing but worrying and that helps nothing.

Jennifer Lane said...

Writing finishes a far distant second to my day job, and it's tough to find time to write. I'm working on letting writing be something fun and therapeutic without deadlines, but it's a challenge. Good luck with the big work things.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

So many responsibilities pulling in all directions. Hope you push past that insecurity and get more writing done.

Carrie-Anne said...

Writing should never be forced when the words genuinely aren't coming, or you have more pressing priorities. The best words are created when you have true passion and inspiration.

Sarah Foster said...

I know the feeling of trying to catch the ideas when you can! My job leaves me pretty exhausted everyday so it's hard to sit down and make myself write.

Jemi Fraser said...

I think you're so right - those ideas will absolutely settle in for the long haul when you have some time available. Real life and real people do have to come first!!

Liz A. said...

It sucks when time is short. Just think how much you're going to enjoy it when you do have the time. Take care.

Roland Clarke said...

Writing sometimes gets side-lined. But we all know it's coming.

Diane Burton said...

Ever since my latest book came out (end of March), I've let writing slide. I do promo and procrastinate going back to a WIP. So, Nick, I'll kick your butt into gear then you can kick mine. :) Good luck!

dolorah said...

Its hard to juggle the writing life and work. Unless your Work IS paid writing. I know Stephen King worked a variety of thankless jobs to support his family prior to being the accomplished author he is. Still, its a long road to that first big pay off.

Jennifer Lane said...

Hey Nick, I've been there too with the day job and other life stuff encroaching on my writing time. Do you have the end of your novel plotted out, or do you plan to wing it? Hope you find some time to write soon!

J Lenni Dorner said...

So many ideas, so little time. I've been there. That "Finish" book I reviewed earlier this year helped me focus.

nader galal said...

تقدم شركه الصفرات افضل العماله المدربه ونحن ملتزمون بتقديم ضمان للعميل علي جودة الخدمة المقدمة المتفق عليها مسبقا مع مندوبناونحن فى شركه الصفرات نسعى لتقديم افضل خدمه بأفضل الاسعار على الاطلاق
نحن فى شركه الصفرات نهتم بأدق التفاصيل لأداء الخدمه لعملاء الكرام فقط تواصلو معنا نصلكم اينما ىكنتم فى انحاء الرياض
يمكنكم أن تقوما بالاتصال بنا عبر الأرقام الموضحة لديكم وذلك على مدار اليوم، كما يمكنكم أن تقوموا بالتواصل معنا عبر مواقع التواصل الاجتماعي مثل الفيس بوك وتويتر والانستجرام،
وقد أتاحت الشركة خدمة التواصل عبر تطبيق الواتس أب وذلك حرصا على سهولة التواصل مع العملاء، ويقوم فريق متخصص بالرد على كافة استفسارات العملاء على مدار اليوم وطوال أيام الأسبوع،
وكل ما عليكم هو الاتصال بنا لنصلكم أينما كنتم في الرياض، نحن نقوم بخدمة كافة أحياء الرياض سواء شمال الرياض أو جنوب الرياض
أو منطقة الوسط، وعقب الاتصال يصلكم فريق من عمالتنا المتخصصة في كافة مناطق الرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف المنازل بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لعزل الاسطح بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف المجالس بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف السجاد بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لنقل الاثاث بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لمكافحة الحشرات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لكشف التسربات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف المسابح بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الخزانات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتسليك المجاري بالرياض