Wednesday 14 November 2018

Starting Afresh

How's everyone going? I thought I'd drop in as part of my effort to get back to more regular blogging. For a while I've only been posting monthly for IWSG, which I really enjoy, and I miss posting more frequently. I've been fairly inactive in terms of writing for a while - editing, that's another story, as I wrangle with the knots and plotholes of my trilogy. Book 2 is finally on the way, with more news on that to follow. But today I'm infused with the joy of starting something new. It's unfamiliar territory for me - first person, female protagonist - but this character's been nagging at me for a while, in a quietly insistent way, wanting her story to be heard. So finally, I capitulated. Only just started, but it's fun. I'm finding that first person allows me to explore that character's inner life and world in much more depth. It's good to push the boat out and try something different. Not counting sequels, this is the first time I've started work on a new full-length story for over four years, and it's refreshing to go back to a completely clean slate.

In other news, inevitably we're starting to gear up for the festive period with all the planning that entails, and we're also putting our house in order so it's nice for Christmas - painting, tiling, decorating. Got a pretty busy time coming up, but it's all good stuff.

Well, that's it for now. What are you up to? Already planning for the festive season? What are your thoughts on writing in first person?

19 comments:

JeffO said...

Cheers to starting something new! I'm looking forward to that, too, as I'm ~almost~ there. First person: I do it a lot. First person, female: I'm doing that in my WiP. I think the one danger of first person (any, really, but maybe more so in first person) is over-explaining emotions, etc. I'm trying to dial back some of that on this latest revision. Not ready for holidays, can't believe Thanksgiving is a week away!

Cherie Reich said...

It's fun writing something new! I enjoy writing in first person as it's easier to feel more connected to the character.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - good to see you here ... I sort of keep up with IWSG and FB - but it's good to know you're wrestling on with stories that keep appearing and characters needing to be written about. Good luck - and yes it's nice to have things tidied up or sorted out - take care ... cheers Hilary

Liz A. said...

I've always preferred writing in first person. I think it's easier. Just watch out for what the character knows. Some things she won't know even though you do.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Enjoy writing the new story. I've barely kept up with blogging the past two months because I've been on the road and on the go non-stop.

Lynda Dietz said...

I think it's great that you're trying something new. And really new, with a different type of protagonist. It will be fun to see how this new world is built.

DRC said...

I'd love to get back into the habit of blogging. Life just gets in the way though, and when your super busy, something has to give. I do nip in and out the sphere for a catchup though. I love that new clean slate feeling. I'm coming to the end of my current piece but have a new piece already lined up that I'm looking forward to. Lots of editing to get through first though.

Heather R. Holden said...

How exciting about the new story! I think that's awesome how you're challenging yourself with a different kind of POV, and that you've been having lots of fun with it so far, too. Best of luck with this!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I've never tried first person but I wish you the best. We entertain the entire family for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love having everyone here each year.

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey Nick,

Looks like we're both starting new projects, so best wishes to you, too, and "break a pen" :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy writing in first person. Really lets me get into their head.

Annalisa Crawford said...

It's always exciting starting something brand new. I'm trying at the moment, but keep being drawn back to previous stories/books at the same time. Good luck :-)

Patsy said...

I often write short stories in first person. So far I've not completed a novel that way, but I might get around to it.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Good luck with your next creative adventure. I think the story dictates what POV you need to use. If you hear a woman's voice talking, start writing it down!

J.L. Murphey said...

Good to see you ack Nick

Empty Nest Insider said...

Good luck with your writing and remodeling projects, Nick! Sounds like you’re a jack of all trades! Enjoy the holidays!

Julie

Darla M Sands said...

Hurray for new projects! I'm enjoying a reboot of an unfinished tale for this month's NaNoWriMo challenge. I wish you all the best through the holidays and beyond.

Carrie-Anne said...

Best of luck with your new project!

Last year, I resurrected a long-shelved character who was in first-person (diary format) the last time I worked with her. I thought about changing her story into my usual third-person omniscient, but only the diary format felt right. I doubt I'll do any other books in that POV, since historical fiction traditionally uses third-person omniscient and ensemble casts for a reason. Though I do enjoy writing short first-person interludes in my other books (letters, love notes, op-eds, etc.).

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I tried writing in the third person, but then I found that most of my narrative focused on just one character anyway. I like writing in the first person because I feel like it's easier to step into the main character's shoes that way.