Wednesday 7 November 2018

IWSG November 2018

Time for another group posting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, headed as ever by the mercurial Alex J. Cavanaugh. It's a safe space where we can share our writing insecurities and fears among like-minded peers. Why not join if you haven't yet?


The co-hosts for the November 2018 meeting are Ellen @ The Cynical SailorAnn V. FriendJQ Rose and Elizabeth Seckman.

I could post about being insecure over putting back my current publication plans to next year, but the truth is, I've long since learned to roll with the punches that life can throw at us. In this case, the incident was my fault, so I can't get cut up anyway, and if you saw my post last month, I'd like to reassure you that my furry friend is back to his old self again, albeit with a truncated tail. So let's turn our attention to the more positive matter of this month's IWSG question, which is a lovely one actually: "How has your creativity in life evolved since you began writing?"

This is an interesting one because I haven't really taken up any other creative hobbies, although recently, some lines of poetry popped into my head and I felt moved to write them down. Not anything that I intended to do, but it was during a period of inactivity with writing, so maybe there's something in the idea that creativity always wants to work its way out in one form or another. As for the quality, that's another matter; I tend to think anything I do in that area is terrible (I once tried to write songs, which featured some truly shocking lyrics), but who knows, I might try to do more and see where it goes, even if no one else sees them.

In IWSG news, the next Twitter pitch event is in January. Another exciting opportunity to get noticed by editors and agents. Don't miss it!


And for our new partnership with WEP (Write Edit Publish), we're hosting a competition to decide the theme for the February contest. 

Rules: Submit your idea for a WEP February theme by November 12 to admin AT insecurewriterssupportgroup.com. Nothing too U.S. culturally bound. Should have wide appeal.

Prize: Feature in the December newsletter for the winner. And, of course, the winning theme will be the official February WEP theme!

Deadline: November 12. Winner announced in the November newsletter on November 28. 

What do you think of this month's question? Are you taking part in IWSG? Interested in the Twitter pitch or WEP? Find the full list of participants here.

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad your dog is doing better even if the tail is a bit damaged.
You write the lyrics, I'll write the music.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Creativity will always find a way to show itself! :)

Chrys Fey said...

Rolling with the punches is something many of us (even me) need to learn to do. I wish you all the best with your goals for next year.

I'm glad your dog is doing well.

I used to write song lyrics, too. I keep telling myself I need to get back to that.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Poetry might just be something that gets your creativity flowing, which is just as good.

cleemckenzie said...

Sometimes poetry cleans out the pipes. It's a challenge and maybe I like it because I'm forced to concentrate so hard on word choice. Good news on the dog front.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - you've had lots happen in your life ... so not surprised to see you say you roll with the punches. Good to know your furry friend is recovering - not easy for us or them. It's great you're writing poetry ... I'm sure you'll find this easier too ... good for you and great to see you here - cheers Hilary

Sarah Foster said...

I tried to write song lyrics at one point (when I was a teenager...they were not good...). I'm better with fiction and maaaaaaaaaaybe poetry.

Jennifer Hawes said...

Aw! Glad he's okay!! Poetry? Well, you never know where that can lead. I cracked open some poems by Edgar Allan Poe today:)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I've felt inspired to write some poetry now and then. Nothing I'll ever share, but it is an emotional outlet for me that writing fiction is not. Glad to hear your doggy is doing better.

Anonymous said...

I had a story I was planning on publishing this year, but decided to push back to next year. It's better to take the time and do it right instead of rushing.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I admire anyone who can write poetry :)

Liza said...

Creativity will percolate up, regardless of it's form. Maybe you can turn the poem into lyrics!

Diane Burton said...

"roll with the punches" is the best advice. Life is going to knock us down. we can stay down or get up and dust ourselves off then keep going. Sorry about your dog. My DIL's Great Dane had to have his tail shortened b/c he kept hitting corners with it, wounds that wouldn't heal. Not the same reason as yours, but he did okay for several years afterward. Hope yours is getting better.

Liz A. said...

Whatever works, eh? It's good to write things like poetry with no destination in mind. It helps unlock something, I think.

JeffO said...

Glad to hear your dog is doing well, that must be a bit of a weight off your shoulders. As for the question, it's a little hard to say. As I said over at Jemi Fraser's, I think my creativity really got going when I started reading more regularly. (I had gone through a 'too busy to read anything but Stephen King's newest' period in my twenties)

Denise Covey said...

I love that lines of poetry popped into your head when you weren't writing! Creativity is always at play whether we know it or not!

Roland Clarke said...

Writing takes so many creative forms - blogging is one and so is making sure that you are publication-ready. Even lending time to others is creative if it's juggled -LOL.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad your dog is doing better and that you can roll with the punches. I could never expand into poetry. My writing isn't that strong. Hope your new goals for your next book work out.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I'm glad your dog is okay! I say do what you have to do creatively. It's good that you can roll with the punches. I think some folks would have a really hard time with having to change their timelines, but in the long run, it's not a terrible thing.

susanbruck.com said...

I'm glad your dog is okay. I lost both my kitties in the last year --they were old and sick at the end, but I miss them. I like trying new things--and they're often not good, at least at the beginning. Good luck!

Christine Rains said...

Happy to hear your furry friend is better! Good luck with your new ventures. I'm in awe of those who can write poetry. I can't even rhyme well!

Darla M Sands said...

Oh, good news about your dog. That makes me happy. I find myself using my pastels, inks, and even crayons sometimes in the evenings after a full day of writing. Even more interesting, I took Japanese language lessons years ago and on a trip to Florida during that period I found my limited high school Spanish skills coming back. It was cool. Happy Writing!

Mary Aalgaard said...

I think our creativity always finds ways to come out, maybe in a new kind of story or artform. Thanks for the kind comment on my blog for IWSG. Cheers!