Wednesday 1 May 2024

IWSG May 2024

Time for our monthly meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Hosted as ever by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the aim of the group is to offer a safe space where writers can share doubts and insecurities without fear of being judged. This month's co-hosts are Victoria Marie LeesKim LajevardiNancy Gideon and Cathrina Constantine.


Let's have a look at this month's IWSG question: 

May 1 question - How do you deal with distractions when you are writing? Do they derail you?

Hmm, I don't really get a lot of distractions because I've very deliberately engineered a writing time of between around 5 and 7 a.m. for the very purpose of avoiding distractions. I'm the kind of writer who needs a big block of time, I don't really do well with squeezing in five minutes here and there through the day. The only distraction I do get is my six lovely dogs who invariably start yelling for breakfast at some point (they hear me get up, so they now think it's time for them to get up too). Once they're fed and watered, I've got my furry friends around to keep me company while I finish what I was doing. We make it work!

To the writing itself, I should give a general update while we're here. My AI WIP (that's writing about AI, not with AI, natch) has hit 67,000 words, which is quite lengthy for me, but it feels like about the last 10,000 has been trying to nail the ending. The AI in my story really did take over and run amok, which I kind of thought would happen, and now I'm trying to work out how to put the rabbit back in the hat. Editing is going to be a serious hack job, but I also think it'll be fun, because this is one of the wildest things I've written.

As to my querying journey, I'm still waiting on that elusive request, but I have had some very helpful personalised rejections saying the concept is super intriguing, but something is not quite there with the pacing or where the story starts. I also signed up to qtCritique where I'm hearing a lot of the same thing, so I think I know what I need to work on, and I'm feeling inspired to refresh my query and get back out there. 

So I do have some insecurities and stumbling blocks this month, but at the same time I feel like things are heading in the right direction. What about you? Do you have distractions from writing? Tried qtCritique yet? Don't forget to check out more amazing IWSG authors as ever at the list here. Till next month!

15 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Well done Nick - it certainly seems like you've made life easy for yourself with that quiet time - once the dogs are fed!! Congratulations and good luck as you move ahead - cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Smart to have a scheduled writing time.
At least the feedback is consistent, which will help with fixing stuff.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Devoting the early hours of the day to your writing is a good way to avoid distractions. And it's awesome that you've been getting personalized rejections. As weird as it sounds, it's a step in the right direction.

H. R. Sinclair said...

My biggest distraction right now is my adorable (new) rescue dog! I'm learning there is no way to get up without her hearing it!

Liza said...

I am an early morning writer, too. Sounds like you are moving forward. Good luck with the querying. I've sent two out this month...here we go again!

Fundy Blue said...

Six dogs, Nick? That must be so much fun! I love dogs, but I don't have one. I love traveling too much, and that would be unkind to any pet. Good luck editing your wild child!

Karen Baldwin said...

My writing time is 4:30 am until the sun comes up, then who knows how the day will turn out. Good luck with the queries. I just started querying and I got a few nibbles but haven't heard back.It's only been two weeks though

Liz A. said...

That sounds like an interesting story. If only the real people working on AI read the cautionary tales...

cleemckenzie said...

I'm intrigued about your piece on AI. I'd love to read it. As to writing early...yes, that's a great strategy.

https://substack.com/@cleemckenzie

kimlajevardi.com said...

I write at the same time, but I’m less able to keep distraction from pulling at me certain mornings.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Yeah, I need a lot of time too. Helps with momentum and writing flow.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Good job with creating your quiet time. Sadly, most of my distractions are in my own head, so harder to shut the door on them!

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm definitely in need of a story where WE beat AI!

I admire your dedication to write so early. My brain is just plundering around trying to find the teabags at that time.

Patricia JL said...

And you didn't include a picture of the six good puppers? You can't mention your pets and not show them off, Nick. That's just bad manners. LOL

Yvonne Osborne said...

Your project sounds intriguing, writing about AI (the monster released amoungst us) NOT with AI.

Good luck querying. It's a bitch.