Thursday 4 May 2023

IWSG May 2023

Time for our monthly meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Hosted as ever by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the aim of the group is to offer a safe space where writers can share doubts and insecurities without fear of being judged. This month's co-hosts are Joylene Nowell ButlerRonel Janse van VuurenMeka James, Victoria Marie Lees and M Louise Barbour.


Apologies for getting here slightly late. I spent a very nice long weekend on a mini cruise with my other half taking in Bruges in Belgium and the island of Guernsey. We got back late on Tuesday so I was tuckered out on Wednesday. I only remembered IWSG when my wife reminded me! What would I do without her? Being a day late, I'll take the opportunity to wish everyone a happy Star Wars Day, and may the force be with you always.

OK, let's check out the question for May's meeting. A good one I think...

When you are working on a story, what inspires you?

This is such a multilayered question and there will be an infinite variety of answers. Of course, there's the multitude of elements that might possibly go into choosing what story to write (overheard conversations, news stories, memes, social media posts, TV shows, books, podcasts, the list goes on), but when working on the story itself... I'd say I'm inspired by trying to capture something, an atmosphere, something that might be about a totally different world but also says something about our current one. There is no shortage of things to comment on. Things that raise red flags. The rise of AI, rights abuses, human voices not being heard. Not that I'm setting out to create something worthy or take some moral high ground. I'm just as confused as things about anyone, and I'm trying to grapple with them through the medium of my characters. I'd like to leave readers with things to think about while also feeling like they've been taken on a thrill ride of twists and revelations. Quite a lot to pull off but it keeps me trying!

While I'm here, I'll just offer a brief reminder that the preorder campaign for my debut traditionally published book The Becalmer, about a girl who can resolve conflicts using her mind, is well underway. I'm offering signed copies for the first one hundred paperbacks, as well as a swag pack for those who leave a review. All formats available here.

Don't forget to visit other IWSG blogs here, and see you next month! 

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounds like a fun vacation.
Writing is a good way to deal with world situations in a safer environment.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Nice you're giving out a swag pack.

Good thing your wife remembered!

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Wow! A cruse in Bruges in Belgium. Exciting!

You have the right attitude for inspiration and trying to "leave readers with things to think about while also feeling like they've been taken on a thrill ride of twists and revelations." Isn't that what we all try to do? Only you succeed. All the luck with your book coming out soon. Bravo!

Patricia JL said...

I love Guernsey! I have a friend who lives there so we visited a few years ago. One day, I'll go back.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

If a messy world is your inspiration, you will never run out of stories!

I'd love to visit Bruges...especially after watching the movie.

Liz A. said...

It sounds like you had a nice trip. That's great. The first Wednesday sure comes up fast, doesn't it?

Denise Covey said...

There is no shortage of things to comment on. Things that raise red flags...You said it right, Nick. How could we ever be short of story ideas?

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you had a fun cruise. Yes, you can find inspiration everywhere.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I like that you leave readers with things to think about while also giving them a thrill ride of twists and revelations. My kinda stories!

Sherry Ellis said...

Sounds like you have a lot of great topics that could keep you writing for a while.

Great idea to give away swag!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - delighted you were able to get away for a few days - Bruges is a place I'd love to visit - and a good rebuilding relaxation time - cheers Hilary