Wednesday 1 March 2023

IWSG March 2023

Time for our next monthly meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group! Hosted as ever by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the aim of the group is to offer a safe space where writers can share doubts and insecurities without fear of being judged. This month's co-hosts are Diedre KnightTonya DreckerBish DenhamOlga Godim and JQ Rose.


Sorry I missed last month's meet! It just snuck up on me for some reason. Leaving that aside, let's turn to this month's IWSG question, which is an interesting one: Have you ever read a line in novel or a clever plot twist that caused you to have author envy?

I'm sure most writers have had that sort of moment where you think "I wish I'd thought of that" or even "I'll never write anything as clever as that." And probably on multiple occasions - I'd struggle to pick out specific examples. Envy is a strong word though and not one I'd probably use to describe that feeling. It's more a sense of healthy competition that spurs you on to do better. We're all learning all the time and probably every book we read has something to teach us. Envy doesn't go anywhere - it means we want what others have, but only that author could have written that book. By the same token, no one else could have written the books we write, either. So, be amazed, be inspired by others' accomplishments, and funnel that inspiration into doing what you do best!

In other news, I've got some slightly nervous insecurity as things will start to roll out for my debut trad pub release in August. I've been told my proofs are on the way, so I will finally get to "hold my book in my hands", and there should be a cover and blurb reveal in the next few weeks. It's a good kind of nerves, I suppose, there's just always that tingling anticipation at how it will all go down.

For more takes on this month's question and to see what other authors are up to, check out the list here.

20 comments:

Liza said...

So excited that you are on your way to seeing your book in print. Congratulations. Yes, in retrospect, the word envy is tough. Alex used "admiration" in his post. I liked that. Hope August comes quickly for you.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your book is getting closer to reality!
Only that author could have written that book - exactly! That author, not us.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, I have moments when I wish I could have written what someone else did, but I think of it more as appreciating their talent. It's awesome that you're moving closer to your publication date.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Enjoy the journey with your first traditionally published book as it will happen all too fast.

Adrienne Reiter said...

Your proofs are in the mail! Congrats. Exciting! Appreciation is a better word than envy. Many times I've said, "Wow. I could never write that." while grateful for the inspiration.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Nick, wishing you lots of success and good luck for your book in August.

Bish Denham said...

Good for you, Nick! As Diane said, enjoy the journey!

cleemckenzie said...

Here's to holding that book! No matter how many times it happens, that physical book in your hands is a special moment.

cleemckenzie said...

Oops! My comment vanished. Oh well, I said something like congratulations and how holding your book the first time is always special.

Liz A. said...

Good luck with your new release. You'll have to tell us all about how it feels to hold the proof in your hands. I bet there will be feelings.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

You are so right, Nick. We do learn every day. From what we read to what we watch. We strive to create something we can be proud of.

Bravo on your good reviews for your trilogy. And I always say, a little healthy competition is a good thing. All best to you, sir.

Rosemary Johnson said...

Congratulations on your trad publication, Nick. My book is about to be hybrid published shortly too.

Denise Covey said...

Oh Nick it's hard to let go of our darlings! You'll be fine!

jabblog said...

How exciting for you. Enjoy!

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Exciting news about the new release!

As for envy... I get what you are saying. But when I see something that makes me think "man, I wish I could write like that," isn't that envy? Not in a mean way, and not wanting to have written what they did--just a sort of melancholy wish that I could be a better writer.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I'm in the water-down definition of envy myself. I see it as a- wish I could way of thinking, not a I'd kill for that skill...though envy often leads to that.

Congrats on your new stories. You're on a roll!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - that's great the publication journey is on its way - enjoy all you receive to check through. Good luck - cheers Hilary

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

"Healthy competition". That's a great way of putting it.

Melissa said...

I'm so excited for you! Best of luck!

(Sorry I missed making return visits for IWSG. My internet went out for over 40 hours.)

J Lenni Dorner said...

Looking forward to your August book! And hints about the book, too.

It's April, so I'm focused on the #AtoZChallenge.
Proof of Existence, book two in my dark urban fantasy series, is out this month.
And I'm running a giveaway on my blog.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge