Wednesday 1 September 2021

IWSG September 2021

It's time for the first Wednesday of the month and time for our monthly meeting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the aim of the group is to offer a safe space where writers of all kinds can share fears and insecurities without fear of being judged. Today's co-hosts are Rebecca DouglassT. Powell ColtrinNatalie AguirreKaren Lynn and C. Lee McKenzie.

This month's optional question is: How do you define success as a writer? Is it holding your book in your hand? Having a short story published? Making a certain amount of income from your writing?

That's a pretty wide-ranging question. I suppose there are a few ways I could answer. I think anyone who completes a story that tells a tale from beginning to end is a successful writer. It's a lot harder than it might sometimes appear. Another marker might be if it makes an impression on someone else or somehow resonates with them, or they feel an emotional connection with the characters. If you can achieve that with just one reader, I think it's a sign you've done something right.

Any insecurities this month? Well, I'm hoping to make a connection with talent spotters by taking part in my first #PitMad this month. I've done the IWSG Twitter Pitch Party before, so I know it's a highly competitive field, but it's also good fun and an interesting experience. I think I've got my WIP down to a publishable form - just need to perfect that pitch. Anyone else taking part? How's your pitch coming along?

Don't forget to check out other IWSG entries here.

19 comments:

Deniz Bevan said...

Good luck with #PitMad!
That's a really good point about the emotional connection -- I kinda forgot to consider readers as part of my answer...

T. Powell Coltrin said...

That's exciting that you have your WIP where you want it. Good luck on the #PitMad!!!!

Teresa

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Every human being wants to make an impression and writing is a great way to do that.
Good luck with #PitMad!

Liza said...

There are so many ways to being successful...you are right Nick. When our words touch someone, that's real success. Good luck with #PitMad!

Annalisa Crawford said...

Good luck with your pitch!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Good luck with your pitch! It's awesome you're trying it. I agree that finishing a manuscript is a measure of success.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Nick, I love it when my characters make an emotional connection with my readers :) it makes me happy and I feel I've done something right!

Laur said...

I agree getting a story written that tells a tale from beginning to end is a success. It's where I'm at. I've got dozens of half-cooked stories. I will feel success when I get one done from beginning to end.

Unknown said...

"anyone who completes a story that tells a tale from beginning to end is a successful writer"-- this resonates with me.

All the best with the #pitmad --I'm planning to RT tweets, and would love to support yours! DM me the link to @damyantig ?

Damyanti Biswas

Victoria Marie Lees said...

You are right, Nick. Having our characters connect to readers is truly a marker of success. Writing and creating story is one of the most difficult things to do. It takes practice, and in my case, much rejection before we find success. All best to you, sir!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Good luck with your Twitter pitch. DLP will be watching the feed tomorrow.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Good luck with the twitter pitch thingie. I've yet to hit one when I had anything in the appropriate state, but maybe sometime next year when the current WIP is looking like something other than a steaming pile.

I agree--just finishing is success, and connecting with a reader is heaven.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Good luck with #PitMad. And I do feel successful whenever I finish. People who are not writers don't understand how difficult it is to get to the end.

Liz A. said...

Good luck. I know creating a pitch is hard work.

Leigh Caron said...

Great success with #PitMad. I love pitching but haven't for a while. It sure gets the adrenaline flowing.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Oh! Good luck with your first #PitMad. Those are always fun.

Karen Lynn said...

Good luck with #pitMad. I'm not taking part. I never seem to have things ready to go at the moment PitMad comes around. Happy IWSG Day!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - excellent to read about ... that you're still working to improve yourself, and to see what else is out there - good luck with the #PitMad - all the best - Hilary

Fundy Blue said...

Good luck with your #PitMad, Nick! I have so far to go. I don't even have a Twitter account. Making an impression on a reader would certainly feel like success. I wrote and produced a number of plays at school, and it was so exciting to see the performances of the kiddos and the reaction of the audience. That was certainly a highlight in my writing! Take care!