Wednesday 7 July 2021

IWSG July 2021

 It's the first Wednesday of the month and of course that means it's time for another round of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Hosted as ever by the erstwhile Alex J. Cavanaugh, and co-hosted this month by Pat GarciaVictoria Marie LeesChemist Ken and Louise - Fundy Blue, the aim of the group is to offer a safe space where writers of all kinds can air fears and insecurities without fear of being judged.


Let's have a look at this month's optional IWSG question, quite a dramatic one: 

What would make you quit writing?

I could only think of three circumstances under which this eventuality would come about: 1) if I died, 2) if I suffered from an extremely debilitating condition such as dementia, or 3) if I found myself in the position of providing 24/7 care to a loved one with such a condition. Otherwise, I can't think of a good reason to stop. It's the only thing in life I can really control and is something I can always rely on to sustain me, no matter how insane the world gets - and that's been thrown into sharp relief over the last 18 months or so. So no, not planning to stop unless I run into one of the dire outcomes mentioned above. I accept the first one will have to happen at some point, but hopefully the other two don't.

While I'm here, I probably should provide an update on what I've been up to. I'm at a completion phase on two WIPs, tying up loose ends - which is great, and exciting in lots of ways, but of course always comes with looming insecurity with the idea of how they might be received as I start to nudge them out into the daylight. The first of these is a standalone YA story that has already been out with CPs. At that point it came in at a slim 50k, but based on their suggestions, I have greatly expanded the denouement and added much-needed worldbuilding details to bring it up to a much more healthy 70k. It'll be going back out to them soon. The other book is the final part of my trilogy, which has taken a bit longer than I planned - the second part came out back in 2019 - but here again the ending took quite a bit of work to get it right. This is also still at first-draft stage, so I don't see it coming out before early 2022. A bit of work still to do there, but it'll be nice to get this series done and dusted.

All told, I can't ever see myself without a project or two on the go. I'm interested to see how others answer this question. Check out other IWSG entries here.

33 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick – your three circumstances make sense – but glad to read you’ll keep writing. Well done on your two WIPs and feel you’ll enjoy getting them out for some reviews etc … all the best! Cheers Hilary

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,
Thank you for your very inspiring answer to the optional question. I do agree. During the pandemic, writing has kept me emotionally balanced. It is so rewarding to know that I can write it down or drift into my world where my characters are.
Take care and all the best.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Annalisa Crawford said...

An extra 20k on the novel is a great effort - and a lot of work! Well done.

Liza said...

I'm impressed that you have two projects going at the same time. And I agree. I think writers have something in their DNA that makes it a life requirement to write!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Like Liza, I'm impressed you can juggle two projects at once. Hope we get to see them soon.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Three reasons to quit writing. I get it, but don't use your death as an excuse. I expect to see your writings from the grave. :)

Teresa

Natalie Aguirre said...

I could see stopping writing in the situations you mention too. Sounds like you've been super productive moving toward finishing two projects at the same time.

Leigh Caron said...

I agree, all the situations you mentioned. I would make me stop or at least slow down writing. And TWO W.I.P.s that's impressive. My W.I.P is at 56,000. I need to write 30,000 more. I write short, punch style...so elaborating without being boring is a struggle for me.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Nick, the three circumstances are what would make most of the writers quit writing! Good luck with all your books.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's a nice length for a YA book.

Sarah Foster said...

I agree, it would take something huge to get me to stop writing completely.
Good luck with your WIPs!

Liz A. said...

Yeah, those three would take one out of writing easily. Good luck with your continuing work.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Finishing a series is always a great feeling. And, because you're not dead or entirely unhinged yet (all writers are unhinged, IMO), the next book idea will bite and you'll keep on writing!

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Obstacles to Overcome and My Podcast is Live!

cleemckenzie said...

A lot of writers are setting out the same conditions for stopping writing. I think you're all very serious here! How great is that?

Jemi Fraser said...

I hope 2 & 3 never happen for you. Dementia is hideous.
Endings are hard! Wrapping up all the 'things' is always a challenge for me as well!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Like you, I can't imagine not having a project or two (or more) on the go. Congrats on getting your project nearer to completion!

Anonymous said...

So yeah, I took care of my husband for almost two years. Not much writing went on, but there was no conscious thought of "never" writing again. Well, seriously, some days there were no thoughts at all. I journaled a lot during that phase.

So exciting on your two projects! Love "done and dusted." It sounds so confident!

Jennifer Lane said...

Not sure if this will post because I'm having problems commenting on Blogger, but I love how committed you are to writing, Nick!

dolorah said...

I let work and life get in my way. Nothing drastic, just all piling up. Glad to see you are so busy with writing. Take care Nick.

Erika Beebe said...

Writing does help deal with the chaos and it sounds like you are doing some great things right now. I l wish you much luck as you work to complete them all.

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Hi Nick! Powerful reasons to stop writing. Let's hope none of them ever come true. Bravo on finishing up your stories/books. Way to go. All best with your writing, sir!

Lori said...

Congratulations on nearing the completion of two works at once! Do you think you'll be doing two a time again?

Beth Camp said...

Really appreciate how your post balanced between answering the question (all three quite apt) and updating your writing progress. These last few months, my husband struggled as he recovered from back surgery. I've really seen someone with a face white with pain, and it's hard to absorb, support, nurture through. Except the writing keeps me grounded as well. And I'm working on more than one project -- probably 3, with one so close to being done, it needs a rest. Maybe I do too! Let's not die just yet.

kjmckendry said...

First of all congrats on completing two manuscripts! That's awesome!!

I feel the same about writing, only death or dementia would stop me. Writing brings me sanity in this crazy world.

Lynn La Vita said...

Hi Nick,
I'm half way through Overcoming Adversity. Each unique story is a lesson in survival, determination, and inspiration. Excellent read.
I sincerely hope Andrew McNaughton is able to pursue his dream of attending college. With your help and others, I believe he will.
Lynn La Vita @ http://la-vita.us/write/

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Good to see you've stayed busy with your writing :)

Diane Burton said...

You list very good reasons for quitting. I'm at the 24/7 stage care of my husband. Rather than give up entirely, I'm on hiatus. What will it take to come back? No idea. Just taking it a day at a time. Good luck to all the projects you have going.

Mark said...

I could see how temporary circumstances might intervene, but I think once a writer always a writer. I look forward to more works being written by both of us:)

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

Hey, congratulations on nearing the end with the current works. For me it's both exciting and unnerving, as it usually means time to get something new started.

I'm with you on the things that would make me stop writing.

Anne Higa said...

Love your answer to the question, which made me grin. "If I died" made me think Death First! I take that to mean, basically never. Barring something making it literally impossible. Total agreement. Congrats on all the projects!

Anne from annehiga.com

Sandra Cox said...

Loved your answer.
Congrats on the WIPS. Good job!

Patsy said...

Those two things would most likely make me stop too!

Neurotic Workaholic said...

It would be difficult for me to give up writing. I've always enjoyed writing for myself, ever since I was a kid, and I can't imagine not doing it. Even if someone offered me a bunch of money that would enable me to quit my job, I wouldn't do it (although I admit the money would be tempting), because if I had all that extra free time, I would want to use it to write.