Wednesday 2 December 2020

IWSG December 2020

We've made it (almost) to the end of this strangest and most challenging of years and while we all look forward to what will hopefully be a brighter 2021, let's get together one more time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Founded and led by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the aim of the group is to offer a safe space where writers can share fears and insecurities in an atmosphere that's free of judgement. Why don't you go and drop in on this month's hardworking co-hosts: Pat GarciaSylvia NeyLiesbet @ Roaming AboutCathrina Constantine and Natalie Aguirre!


As we draw near to the end of the year I've still got an ambition to finish my first draft of the book I started at the beginning of it. I suppose I could think I'd like to have achieved more - I've got the small matter of editing and polishing the last part of a trilogy too - but all things will come in due course. One of the lessons I could take from this difficult year is that it's a blessing to have the ability, time and mental bandwidth to write and enjoy it without worrying too much about timetables. I haven't always felt like I wanted to do it and that's fine too. I wonder how this plays into our monthly question - let's have a look at it: 

Are there months or times of the year that you are more productive with your writing than other months, and why?

I'm not sure there's any particular season where I'm more productive. Because I write early in the morning, it's always dark or semi-dark at that time so it's just about how motivated I feel on any given day - but I do find the colours of spring and autumn inspiring.


The new year also brings the return of the IWSG Twitter Pitch! Get your pitches primed and you could end up bagging an agent or publisher. See all the details here: Insecure Writer's Support Group: #IWSGPit Twitter Pitch

And check out many more great posts at the IWSG sign-up list.

21 comments:

Patsy said...

2020 WILL be better.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Sometimes listing all that I want to do (in writing or anything else) is daunting for me, and I shut down. You'll get there with your writing. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Same with writing. P.S. I'd never eat an elephant. They're too cute.

T.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, all things do come in due course. That's such a great thing to remember when we get impatient with your writing.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nick - I congratulate you on getting up early and writing away ... not good at this time of year! But you're right the changing light and colours of the seasons does inspire. Take care and all the best for the coming 2021 - Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Deadlines certainly had to be changed for this year and into next.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Nick, yes this has indeed been a challenging and a strange year. But somehow we all have managed to reach the end of this troublesome year. Spring and Autumn are my favourite writing months too. Good luck with your writing goals.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Due course is a good way to define this year's writing. Mine took that long!

Chrys Fey said...

Next year will be better. Slowly but surely. This year has sure taught us a lot. Hopefully.

Take care, Nick! Happy Holidays!

Leigh Caron said...

From what other writers have been posting, I think this year put a hurting on many goals. I've learned not to put deadlines on my writing. And I'm a morning writer for the same reasons you are. It seems there are two times most popular for writing - morning and evening. Can't say I've every heard too many boast that afternoon is there best time. Guess it's all about darkness and solitude.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I took a class on outlining plots, and while I never wanted to be a plotter, it helped me to break down a big project into small bits, and that helped me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something when I get just a small bit of writing down.
Every word counts.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Sylvia Ney said...

It's evenings for me, and Fall weather is very inspirational. I hope you are able to enjoy the holidays, and some writing time. Merry Christmas!

Liz A. said...

In a difficult year, just getting through the year is accomplishment enough.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It's good you don't have that pressure to write. You can take your time and enjoy the process. Wishing you a safe and wonderful Christmas.

Denise Covey said...

Hey Nick! I came across to wish you a happy holiday season and great writing in 2021. We're having no official challenge at WEP this December for many reasons so there'll be no shortlist to sift through. I hope you'll continue to be our judge next year!

Thevagabond said...

Ya, the colours of nature are an inspiration. Hoping for a better 2021 for all

Ruchi Nasa https://thevagabond.me

Liza said...

I'm an early morning writer too. I just simply sit down and go at it. Sometimes I have better success than others, but as long as I am sitting there trying, I figure it counts.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm always a little more productive when my hands aren't freezing cold.

Good look with that first draft - you can do it!

H. R. Sinclair said...

Hope is on the horizon. And little things help. I find fall and winter colors inspire me. :-)

Diane Burton said...

The fact that you've written at all this year is an accomplishment. I have faith that next year will be better. Hang in there!

Chemist Ken said...

Early morning is often the best time for me too. Unfortunately, I enjoy sleeping as late as I can and it can be a struggle to get up and write. Enjoy the holidays!

Lidy said...

Unable to get up in the dark of morning to write. But the dark of night is different. My best writing time happen then. The kids being in bed helps too.