Wednesday 1 August 2018

IWSG August 2018 and Next Anthology Contest Announced

Time for another group posting of the IWSG - quite hard to believe it's August already! Our heatwave in Scotland has turned decidedly autumnal. Wherever you are, hope you're safe and not too hot or cold. This is the time every month where we can unload our writing worries and woes among supportive friends - with Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh taking the helm as always, our co-hosts this month are Erika BeebeSandra HooverSusan Gourley and Lee Lowery.


Just the usual insecurities this month about prepping for an upcoming release - I believe I'm very nearly done with edits for book 2 of my trilogy, now it's just finishing touches and making sure its teeth are brushed and hair combed before sending it out to seek its fortune. I'm also reading through the draft of book 3, having been quite shocked to see that it was last saved six months ago. I was stuck on the ending then, but a readthrough is sparking different ideas off and I'm heartened that the writing is not quite as terrible as I had feared. Let's turn to this month's IWSG question.

"What pitfalls would you warn other writers to avoid on their publication journey?"

This is quite an interesting question because I firmly believe that mistakes and stumbles are a vital part of the process - they're how we learn, after all. You just have to do what feels right at the time, but if I was going to give advice, it would be not to put all your eggs in one basket - be open to different routes to publication and if sending out queries to agents or publishers, keep writing in the meantime rather than obsessively checking your inbox. Yes, I was guilty of this one, but I soon learned my lesson. It took me a while to write another book, but I did write the first short stories I was really proud of at this time, which brings me on nicely to a couple of big announcements for the IWSG!

First we have:


The 2018 Annual IWSG Anthology Contest

Word count: 3500-6000

Genre: Young Adult Romance

Theme:
Masquerade
A Masquerade can be a false show or pretense, someone pretending to be someone they aren't. It can be a ball, a fancy dress party, it can be a mask. Open to interpretation.

Submissions accepted: September 5 - November 4, 2018

How to enter: Send your polished, formatted (Double spaced, no page numbers), previously unpublished story to admin @ insecurewriterssupportgroup.com before the deadline passes. Please include your contact details, your social links, and if you are part of the Blogging, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter IWSG group.

Judging: The IWSG admins will create a shortlist of the best stories. The shortlist will then be sent to our official judges who will be announced September 5.

Prizes: The winning stories will be edited and published by Freedom Fox Press next year in the IWSG anthology. Authors will receive royalties on books sold, both print and eBook. The top story will have the honor of giving the anthology its title.

The good news is this gives you a headstart of over a month before the contest opens! Time to get thinking caps on.

We also have details of another exciting new venture to share. The IWSG has teamed up with the good folks at WEP (Write-Edit-Publish) for a challenge that all our members can take part in, including on Facebook. Sign up today to post August 15. Details as follows:

The August WEP Challenge – A Change of Heart

Who hasn’t had one? This one’s easy, right?
A commitment made when a prospect looked attractive, a decision on a course of action, and then regrets and reluctance to follow through. It could be an engagement, a date, a diet plan, a chore someone said they’d do and didn’t follow through. A strip poker-game. Or maybe a gamble with super-high, panic inducing stakes. A break for independence that once made, gives pause for second thoughts. A bolt for the grass-always-greener pasture and then wanting to vault-n-turn right back. Something offered, then withdrawn. Myriad ways to go.

There's plenty going on! Any thoughts on either of these challenges? Any pitfalls to share for others to avoid? Check out the other great IWSG posters here.

34 comments:

Heather R. Holden said...

Congrats on almost being done with your edits for book two! And glad to hear you're feeling inspired again, when it comes to the third. Hope progress for that book goes well!

Patsy said...

Good point about mistakes – they are part of the process.

Unknown said...

Good advice on staying flexible on your publishing options. I locked in early on self-publishing and wish I'd spent more time chasing agents. Congratulations on book two. Wish you well on future books.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Great tips :-) Good luck with getting book 2 ready for release.


Ronel visiting on Insecure Writer's Support Group day: Time to Say Goodbye

Sarah Foster said...

Good luck with finishing your edits!
I like the idea of writing while waiting for responses. I have a lot of stories on the back burner so it would be nice to do some actual writing while trying to get my main WIP published (which has been all about editing for a LONG time).

JeffO said...

I saw your IWSG post in my feed and thought, "Wait, it's not time for that yet!" then realized, yes, it's August. Sigh. Looks like things are chugging along pretty well on the writing front, good for you!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Definitely keep writing because it will catch up to you if you don't.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Being open to different paths of publication is great advice! Especially now that there are so many ways to go. :)

The Cynical Sailor said...

I love your description of getting a book ready to publish - brushing its teeth and combing its hair :-)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Putting everything in one basket is risky. Like putting your books on KDP Select only.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, don't put your eggs in one basket is great advice. And you're right, it is a learning process.

Stephen Tremp said...

Nick, I sure wish I had time for more challenges. They were fun back in the day. Great way to meet new people too.

Liz A. said...

It's nice when the ending of a story comes into view. Good luck with your writing and editing.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Nick, I agree with what you have said. We must "be open to different routes to publication." That's what I'm doing.

Julie Flanders said...

Congrats on getting book two one step closer to being out in the world. Exciting!
Lots of great things going on with IWSG as usual.

emaginette said...

I hear you. Every journey is different and mistakes will be made. Sticking to it is the only way to success. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Erika Beebe said...

I agree. We should be proud of where we are and remember we love writing, no matter our paths or options along the way :) Happy IWSG day! There is so much to celebrate :)

Sadira Stone said...

Good advice on remaining open-minded about paths to publication. I'm relaxing my grip on that issue and exploring my options. It's good to know there are so many. Wishing you happy writing in August.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your progress with your book. Let me know if you need help spreading the word for release day.

dolorah said...

Lots of good stuff going on. Sticking to it and being open minded good advice.

Jemi Fraser said...

So much great stuff going on!!!
Tossing all those eggs in one direction is tempting, but much easier to take it one step at a time

Loni Townsend said...

Woot for getting progress on book 2! I agree, what we learn and experience definitely shape us into who we are as writers.

cleemckenzie said...

I remember my mistakes very clearly and I'm determined not to make them again. I'm sorry I did what I did, but I'm not sure there was any other way at the time.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That's a good bit of advice. I've been doing that lately after one of my publishers closed.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Congrats on your progress. Gotta love it when we discover our writing isn't as terrible as we first feared ;)

Diane Burton said...

I hope your weather is still good. We're expecting another heat wave this weekend. I hope your progress continues. Good luck and congrats.

Liza said...

I'm glad you are feeling your latest book has a future. Isn't it fun when new ideas present themselves?

L.G. Keltner said...

Great advice! You never want to close yourself off to opportunities, even if they weren't the ones you originally envisioned for yourself. There are many potential paths to writing success.

Darla M Sands said...

It's always a joy to find something you've written reads better than expected. Thank you for sharing your experiences, and these opportunities. Happy Writing!

Crystal Collier said...

I like that idea--diversifying. Hugh Howley found his success by trying several different avenues and then pursuing the one that paid the best. Smart man.

Michelle Wallace said...

Good luck as you work on the finishing touches of book 2 in your trilogy, and the prep for book 3. That's so exciting.
Hope the hot weather is easing up a bit, Nick...

Mark said...

Great point that mistakes are part of the process, and that's okay, I think I needed to hear that:)

Unknown said...

كثيرون يحصلون على بعض المعلومات عن تكاليف التنظيف داخل الكويت وتكاليف تنظيف التصاميم وتكاليف عالية وعالية؟ حقيقة الأمر هي أن تقييم أعمال التنظيف ليس عرضة للتقييم. في أي حال ، فإن نموذج الغرفة هو التشغيل والتدبير المستخدم لمعرفة التكلفة.
رقم شركة تنظيف بالكويت
ابي رقم شركة تنظيف بالكويت
دليل شركات النظافة بالكويت
شركة تنظيف المنازل بالكويت
افضل شركات تنظيف المنازل بالكويت

J Lenni Dorner said...

I did the WEP challenge.
I'm contemplating the YA story for IWSG. I have an idea, sort of, but I'm not sure if it'll work. I'm toying with it for now.