Thursday 5 April 2012

E is for Excitement

Welcome to today's instalment of my A-Z series, "26 Things that Made Me a Writer".

Today's letter could also have stood for Energy. Enthusiasm. Elation. All things that I feel when it comes to writing. But not so much for other tasks I carry out, such as cleaning the oven. I'm going to get a bit scientific today and explore exactly why some things are more appealing to us than others. What happens in the brain when we get excited? (And no, not in that way... get your minds out of the gutter.)

Well, there's not much to the science bit, if put briefly. Basically, if we are having an exciting experience, dopamine is released by neurotransmitters in the brain, which gives the sensation of joy and exuberance. It's true that a good writing session gives you a real rush. OK then, so why exactly do I get so excited about writing?

Well, the list could go on and on. I'm eager to get a story down that's taking up room in my head. I want to create a work of art that's totally unique, that has a life of its own. I get excited about people responding to my characters, getting emotionally involved with them, rooting for them or being reviled by them. Because the possibilities are endless when it comes to writing. You can go anywhere you want, do anything you want, be as extreme as you want. Because even when I've written something I think is rubbish, I'm excited about making it better. Because I can be in a terrible mood or doing a mundane task and be pepped right up when a new idea comes to me. I'm sure there are lots more reasons.

What's exciting to you about writing?

NB: This is a prescheduled post as I am away from April 2-6. I will respond to all comments on my return.

11 comments:

The Armchair Squid said...

To me, writing is exciting for the thrill of creating something new and engaging with others. Nice post. Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

Tobi Summers said...

That moment where the ending of the story clicks in your brain and you can finally see how all the moving pieces connect. That's the most exciting moment to me, followed closely by the one when you first get a new idea.

nutschell said...

i love creating new worlds and making characters come alive on the page.:)
Great A-Z post!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Kristen Pelfrey said...

Really enjoyed this post, Nick!
A-Z Challenger Kristen

C.B. Wentworth said...

The most exciting part of writing for me is getting the initial idea. I love that moment when my imagination explodes with so many possibilities.

MOV said...

Nick,

Great post! For me, writing is not so much "exciting" as necessary. I feel the words bubbling up in my brain and I have to get them down on paper HAVE TO or they will just ooze out my pores and be gone without me catching them. That is my definition of hell-- anywhere without a pen and paper. I write contantly.

found you on the a to z! cannot wait to read more. I am a follower now. :)

Feel free to take a peek at my blog if you have time:

http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

best,
MOV

Mel said...

For me, the most exciting part of writing is the research and drawing connections between genres/cultures/traditions/etc. I love that part.

M Pax said...

I love the beginning and creating the world and the people and the story. Then I love typing 'the end'. I also really enjoy the research.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's exciting once I'm managed to get the first draft down and can begin editing (something I enjoy) and it's exciting when I see a review from someone who really enjoyed and 'got' my book.

Cynthia said...

One of the many exciting aspects of being a writer is being able to utilize my thoughts in the way I see fit to create a world, a cast of characters, and a story that I feel is worth being heard.

Nick Wilford said...

The Armchair Squid - Thanks! I agree. Nice to meet you.

Tobi - Ideally everything does connect at the end - might take a few redrafts, but yes I totally agree. You can see you've got the bones of something that could work.

Nutschell - Me too, especially when characters take on a life of their own, then they are driving the story, not the writer. Nice to meet you!

Kristen - Thanks!

C.B. - I *love* new ideas.

MOV - Thanks for following! I will be sure to get over to your blog. Agreed, I couldn't imagine not writing. That would be hell!

Mel - Hmm, I tend to not be massively into the research. I tend to find out what I need to know as I go along as I'm impatient to write. You've given me food for thought!

M Pax - Definitely a sweet feeling when you get to the end. Then you have something to work with.

Alex - Ditto my reply above, and I'm not at the review stage yet, but I really appreciate the feedback I have had on short stories, eg in the Campaign.

Cynthia - Agreed. Everything is your expression and you can do anything you want. That's really exciting!